Archinect
anchor

B. Arch programs do not require physics?

Anni

Having trouble searching for undergrad programs without prerequisite of physics.

It was very bad I realized that I want to be an architect till grade 12 in IB which is a 2 year program, and I cannot change my course to Visual art and physics (I chose bio&chem). I'm rushing my portfolio right now. (Since I did not take art in G11&12, the teacher wants me to do more drawings /paintings deal with lines and space.)

Qs:

Good Arch school/program in US/Canada that does not require physics to get in.

What the admission expect from a high student that has not studied architecture?

Should I just give up rushing my portfolio and think about other majors for undergrad?

Thank you very much!

Oct 9, 13 10:12 pm
SATX

Most architecture schools if not all require physics or some sort of statics class. Maybe someone here can enlighten us. 

Oct 10, 13 12:07 am  · 
 · 
Roshi

As I recall, I took my physics course at a community college during one of my summers while already in college. I got an A in it and it got transferred to my college credit, crossing out my physics requirement. So I think this might be something you can take after you get admitted? May be a different situation.

Oct 10, 13 12:30 am  · 
 · 
natematt

I am a bit confused by the OP.

I was not aware that colleges specified highschool coursework as a prerequisite for admission. Obviously AP coursework can earn credits at some schools, and I've never heard of an architecture school that didn't require physics, but  i have never heard of one requiring you to have taken it prior to college in order for admission, rather they all include it as a required course.

Am I missing something here?

Oct 10, 13 12:53 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If you don't have physics, I am sure there is an art school with an "architecture" program that will be happy to take your money, that, or get into int-des. As for Canadian schools, the CACB has standard pre-reqs that states physics is a must... as is calculus and algebra.

Joking aside, most first year programs drag you through all the structure courses you would need so best call each school's administration to see how high-school grades/courses compare to portfolio when considering applicants.

Oct 10, 13 8:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: