Archinect
anchor

Weird !

Ramtin Taherian

Hey everyone.

I'm an international student and I was planning to apply this year for U.S schools for MArch. Since with this kind of tuition and expenses and everything the whole plan seems to be more like a joke, I'm just going to give it a shot to see what happens ..

So I will really appreciate it if you can help me with choosing the schools ..

This may sound odd but the most important thing for me is the possibility of getting a full ride or any other generous offers like that. So I'm basically asking for the universities that do that a lot !

Some additional information:

strong portfolio, good recomms, good gpa, ..

pretty good with digital fabrication and modeling

still dont know about toefl and gre scores

Any information of any kind from anyone will be appreciated ..

Sincerely,

Some one who didn't have the chance to born in United States of America.

Oct 9, 13 5:39 pm
natematt

Don't forget your statement/application letter, that is very important.

If money is a big thing I'd try to find a school that doesn't cost that much in the first place, because a lot of the places that cost more will give you more money but still end up being more expensive in the end.

Oct 9, 13 8:27 pm  · 
 · 
Ramtin Taherian

you mean like suny buffalo nate ?

Oct 10, 13 5:00 am  · 
 · 
accesskb

I see lots of posts as such.  "I want a free ride!" xD who do you think America is?  You weren't born in America and probably never stepped foot in the country either but you want a FREE education while the rest of the citizens take loans and work their lives paying off university debt? xDD

Good Luck though :)

Oct 10, 13 7:23 am  · 
 · 
Ramtin Taherian

@accesskb

yeah, weird ! isn't it ?

Oct 10, 13 8:42 am  · 
 · 
sagarchitrakar

Here's some feedbacks from my side.

I've been in the same boat last year my friend. I applied to 9 universities, mostly top tier universities. I had my hopes very high getting into few of them. Eventually, I did got into 3 universities. But currently i'm not in one of those grad schools and I'm still trying to figure out the ways to get into them without much financial hurdle. 

The tuitions fees are really high. Financial aids are limited to US citizens and not to Intentional students, like us. However, if the university things you're good enough, they MIGHT take you for FREE, hands down.

Now what do you I think about USA as of @accesskb comment. I think when we're talking about architecture schools in a graduate level, it's a global platform and not just limited to AMERICANS. If I'm am good enough than some american student, then I'm gonna get that funding and yes FULL RIDE. 

Oct 10, 13 10:14 am  · 
 · 
Veuxx
^ it's more than about talent it's about tax dollars that you have not contributed too
Oct 10, 13 10:22 am  · 
 · 
sagarchitrakar

^ There's a thing called SCHOLARSHIP - which is not limited to nationality . 

Oct 10, 13 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Ramtin Taherian

I really didn't want to cause these kind of arguments .. I'm just looking for cheap schools .. that's all ..

Oct 10, 13 10:44 am  · 
 · 
sagarchitrakar

:) Peace

Oct 10, 13 10:49 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

how would the professors at the university you want to go to get paid if you're not paying them for the education they're offering?  how would the administrative staff get paid?  how could they afford to build campuses and buildings?  who do you think pays for the scholarships, grants, etc., that would cover the cost of having you there, and why would they want to spend their money on you? i think these are good questions to think about, and if you wanted to answer them here, i am a little curious.

i want lots of expensive stuff for free too, but sometimes i have to temper my hopes and expectations with a realistic view that expensive stuff is often expensive.  perhaps the question isn't how do you get into an expensive school for free, but rather how do you get the money/income to pay for the expensive school you want to go to?

Oct 10, 13 11:39 am  · 
 · 
archinet

Just apply and see what happens. Princeton tends to be more generous than other ivy league schools. Also if I were in your shoes I would also look into some european schools like ETH, Stuttgart etc. I had a friend do an exchange to ETH and it was free plus they gave her living expenses. Not sure if they do that for the whole time as an international student.

After you get your results see if or how much debt you will be in once done. If its under 50k then maybe do it. Otherwise go somewhere else.  

Oct 10, 13 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: