Archinect
anchor

3dsmax

EcoArchSefa

Hello to my renderers out there. I have a quick question about exporting a sketchup file into 3dsmax for rendering purposes. i am able to export, retain my materials once in 3dsmax, however after tweeking with the material editor, my final rendered image just doesnt come out realistically. for instance my grass looks like a smooth green platform, and my bricks just arent crisp like bricks. im suspect im doing something wrong with the "real world scale" of the materials? what are some recommended height and widths for in the real world scale for bricks, grass, glass, metals etc..or is that not the problem? please any tip will help.

Dec 10, 08 12:08 am
trace™

Map materials in Max, no SU

Dec 10, 08 8:58 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

try Blender MAX is a autodesk trap

Dec 10, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

i have had luck to bring SU models to Rhino and keep all the mapping, you could try that too

Dec 10, 08 10:57 am  · 
 · 
EcoArchSefa

Thanks everyone.

Trace are you reccommending that i keep my model plain in SU and
then add bitmap images to it Max?

Dec 10, 08 1:01 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

... yes ~ create your whole model with every material on it's own layer and assign by layer in Max.

Dec 10, 08 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
bravo_on_trace

I was doing something similar a few weeks ago
http://www.archinect.com/forum/threads.php?id=82901_0_42_0_C
(that's a link to the discussion, i hope it works)

Anyway I agree that it works a lot better to assign materials in max. remember the UVW map needs to be set on a lot of the Max materials. Do this in the modifier tab. Choose UVW map. Click "box" ( I think the default is "plane") Most of my max materials are bitmapped to be 2'7" in x, y, and z.

I hope that helped... I don't have max on this computer to double-check the steps, but usually that works for me to get the materials in the correct scale.

Dec 10, 08 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Listen to Cowgill.

He used to scold the shit out of me for not doing it by layer. And therefore I learned the hard way.

Dec 10, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Oh and listen to everyone else's advise too! :)

Dec 10, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Max's material editor is quite powerful and flexible (and a pain in the ass at times, but don't get me started). I'd do all of your materials in Max to ensure things render correctly.

Dec 10, 08 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
EcoArchSefa

thanks guys.i really appreciate it.

Dec 10, 08 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

hey

i was wondering if anybody has ever tried downloading the 30 days trial version, then succesfully re-downloading it after the 30 day trial ended? or will it remember your computer

i haven't used it in ages after school, and now finding myself needing the software for my school app portfolio making needs.

Aug 22, 11 4:53 am  · 
 · 
arri

I took a Revit class and downloaded Revit 2011, 3DS Max 2011  and Autocad 2011 from the Autodesk website http://students.autodesk.com/. Revit is a full version and Autocad is a full version except when you print. It leaves a "Educational Use Only" stamp on PDFs. But if you have a full version of Acrobat you can crop it off.

It been a year since I downloaded but if I remember correctly  I used my Gmail  account not a college/university email with an EDU account and I was able to download and install. Autocad is for 2 years and  I think the others are for 1 year.  

Anyway sign up https://students.autodesk.com/?nd=register

Aug 22, 11 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
morgan2sims

@arri, thanks a lot for the links and prompt response. i will check it out.

regarding the watermark, as long as it's not plastered across the center (yikes. it's not, is it?), i can live with that and can photoshop it out. here's hoping

Aug 23, 11 12:31 am  · 
 · 
dawnchorus

A way to get rid of the "Educational Use" plot stamp in AutoCAD is to export your DWG as a DXF and then import it again. Next time you save it as a DWG it will not have the stamp on it.

Aug 23, 11 4:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: