Archinect
anchor

laminating textile to steel..?

phased

i'm basically interested in knowing if this is at all feasible. i've researched high and low but can't come up with a definitive answer or method.

basically i have small (no larger in area than an a1 sheet) anticlastic membranes (some sort of fabric material) sitting between metal sheet planes (gal steel?). i want to know if it is possible to laminate areas of the fabric to the metal without the use of framing etc. in the process reducing the need for distinct catenary edges.

i can upload a simple SU file of my design if my description above is too vague.

Nov 3, 08 1:45 am
phased

i'm only an undergrad student so my experience with construction, particularly textile structures, is limited. but my thoughts so far is that some how laminating or ironing the fabric (maybe a hybrid fabric incorporating metal weaves?) to rusticated areas of steel panel. once again, this is merely a guess and not very in depth.

any advice or knowledge is welcomed!

many thanks.

Nov 3, 08 1:50 am  · 
 · 

i have done some fabric structures. there may be other ways to do it but we basically pulled it, clamping on the edges and creating shape by having something for the clothe to be stretched against. We covered the edges by wrapping it round a corner and covering with metal and other things...this probably sounds more complicated than it is but the effect in the end was basically a sheet of fabric ending with metal trim ( the two materials were in fact not connected and the metal trim was a weather and decorative cover only...)

Nov 3, 08 8:45 am  · 
 · 
job job

There is a material found in any fabric shop called 'interfacing'. This will do exactly as you have specified. Ironing or heating will activate the layer of adhesive, fixing your textile to the metal sheet.

one question - what solid, uninterrupted, metal sheet provides an anticlastic form? or synclastic for that matter? As far as I know, sheets can fold or roll. If there is something new out there, please let me know.

Nov 3, 08 10:49 am  · 
 · 
phased

jobbyjob - interfacing, ey? i've only ever heard of this in sewing. it can be used larger scale as a construction fabric on the rear of a hybrid membrane material? i couldn't find much on google in relation to its architectural use.

also, if it isn't a specific architectural product, i'm questioning its overall strength of connection? whilst the membrane panels are small, they will still be subjected to wind and rain and other such forces.. if you could point me in the direction of a product link or something i'd appreciate it.

in regards to the anticlastic form question - the sheet is not solid nor uninterruped. it is expruded and pressed strategically so that different parts are on different planes. i think that answers your question?

jump - thanks for your input. yep, i know that is a feasible construction method for the membranes. i have been encouraged to find other such methods of construction, perhaps those less typical. that's why i'm looking into lamination..

further input is welcomed!

Nov 3, 08 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
job job

I've misunderstood. If your class requires an immediate industry-extensible solution, and not prototypes nor studies nor experiments, do not use interfacing. Just use strong glues - there are legion

here's an interesting link but the passage on Semper is poorly written

good luck

Nov 4, 08 10:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: