Archinect
anchor

Which building has a stacking of slabs(or any materials) to create spaces or etc?

vyan

I am doing this project for my design studio and I had this concept of designing for extreme ergonomics and I wanted to use slab stacking as a way of communicating this.

I remembered there was this project, don't remember if it was by an spanish architect or not, but he had this sort of stacking of slabs that shifted to produce variability in floor spaces and etc.

any idea what I am talking about? I think it was in A+U.
If you guys have another projects that are close to what I am trying to aim for, let me know because I like to do a rigorous case study.

Oct 29, 08 3:35 am
PsyArch

Please expand on "Extreme Ergonomics"

Oct 29, 08 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

extreme ergonomics meaning that the material system will help define products of use-such as a bed loft, a chair, a desk, a table, etc. etc. This means that not only will the material system define spaces, but it will give the user the extreme ergonomics.

I am looking for an example that can provide me this kind of exploration, not necessarily to the extent of "extreme ergonomics" but at least uses this sort of material stacking operation to form spaces and floors.

Oct 29, 08 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

almost like that March06

But looking for something less...organic?

Oct 29, 08 4:15 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe

from archinect's feature's.

inhabitants are recognizable by the chronic bruised foreheads...that's extreme ergonomics for ya.

Oct 29, 08 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

I already have that example, which I used as a case study for me.
I was looking at a bigger scale maybe?

is it a good idea to tackle extreme ergonomics as my sensibility?

Oct 29, 08 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

extreme ergonomics?
doesn't get much 'bigger' than this:

http://www.arcspace.com/architects/foreign_office/yokohama/yokohama_index.htm

Oct 29, 08 5:11 pm  · 
 · 
zdphotos

immediately made me think of this:

http://www.mirage.com/restaurants/stack.aspx

its interior only, not structural...

Oct 29, 08 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

those are some good examples
but how does the yokohama port terminal exemplify extreme ergonomics?

Oct 29, 08 6:23 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

and i wish i can see more of the mirage restaurant

Oct 29, 08 6:24 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch
Definitions of Ergonomics

are not what you are talking about

I think you might be thinking more of materiality as a type of affordance (JJ Gibson).

However, this video of Andrea Branzi's Vertical Home seems to be what you are talking about.

Yokohama is definitely Ergonomics. When up-scaling Ergonomics to Architecture, the Architecture must be programme driven. Yokohama is pure programme. As Ergonomics is the analysis of human (capabilities, biases, frailties and their impact on) behaviour, and how to design the world (of physical geometry, information and human engagement) into line with the individual.

Oct 29, 08 6:55 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

What I mean to say is that using the material system to define the space is explicitly not Ergonomics. Ergonomics is a system of analysis and design deriving from a knowledge of the human, and the ways of improving the interface between the pure, naked, human and the objective contents of the world.

Human-driven. Responding to the human.

Oct 29, 08 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Sorry:

improving the interface between the pure, naked, human and the objective [i]and intellectual and social[i] contents of the world

Oct 29, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
MArch n' unemployed

^ much better than i would have said

Oct 29, 08 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

How about the Layer House by Hiroaki Ohtani? It's constructed of thin precast concrete slabs stacked on top of one another, with plug in furniture, timber boards forming stairs etc.

Archrecord Article

Oct 29, 08 7:28 pm  · 
 · 

that extreme ergonomics is extremely vague...something like that MArch

Oct 29, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

Try again with an image...

Oct 29, 08 7:29 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

You might also like this one: Bryghusgrunden Project by OMA in Copenhagen,

Oct 29, 08 7:32 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

hhhm...

so how we explain the concept of the final wooden house by Sou Fujimoto?

I think you're right, maybe im defining it in the wrong way.
I think it's too late for me to change a different kind of sensibility.
I am confused and spaced out on what extreme ergonomics can produce.

Oct 29, 08 7:34 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

what is that darren hodgson and in your opinion why did you use that image to define extreme erogonomics

Oct 29, 08 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

also that video is not working for me

Oct 29, 08 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I think you should work on your definition before you abstract the title. i.e. the name of the method of the production is not a method of production.

Extreme Ergonomics for me would be along the lines of the cyborg Kevin Warwick, and driving his environment to respond to his internal states. States that could be unknown to his conscious self, i.e. bypassing his consciousness through intimate measurement and wiring that physiological/psychological information straight to his building control system.

One could sleep without sheets if the room knew your body temperature.
If the room knew the level of pressure in your bowels, it could flip the seat up or down before you arrived.
etc.

Oct 29, 08 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

I think the direction I am trying to aim for this project is along the lines of the Sou Fujimoto house that was posted earlier and the layering house by Hiroaki Ohtani.

is it to safe that these houses were driven with an "ergonomical" mind or is that a wrong term?

versatility? comfortability?

Oct 29, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

vyan, I think darren is responding to your response for images of stacking (as am I with the OMA image).

And now you are confusing me.

The video doesn't work for you... conceptually? technically?

The idea that slab stacking bears any relation to ergonomics is whimsy. You'll get torn apart in crit if you can't show some logic.

Oct 29, 08 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

and pysharch could you explain the "ergonomics" with the OMA example you provided?

Oct 29, 08 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

^ that's what im scared of psyarch.
I don't think I have this strong logic to this idea of "extreme ergonomics"

I am confusing myself too. I can't install the missing plugin to watch the video that's what I am saying.

Oct 29, 08 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

Psyarch..in your opinion..
if i asked you to design a residential house with the sensibility of
"extreme ergonomics" through some material and with a material operation, how one might achieve that?

Oct 29, 08 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Darren Hodgson

To tell you the truth vyan I didn't read your post properly and really just focused on the slab stacking, the Layer house immediately came to mind.

Probably should read a bit more thoroughly before I post. However, after actually reading the posts and the responses, I think the layer house is a good example of structure defining how a space is effectively used. Compare the wooden house for example to the layer house and you have two extremes of structure influencing use.

The wooden house seeks to portray itself as a living space, when in reality it is uncomfortable, dangerous and impractical as a long term environment to exist within, in my opinion this displays poor ergonomic qualities. The Layer house on the other hand seeks to create usable living space within a set matrices of structure, i'm not sure if it is the case but it gives the appearance that the the ability to adapt is instrinsicly built into the structure. There appears to be an element of comfort and livability.

I'm not sure there is such a thing as extreme ergonomics, ergonomics as I understand it (and I'm sure I will be corrected if I am wrong) is the study of efficiency within a particular environment. Can efficiency really be taken to the 'extreme'?

Oct 29, 08 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

vyan - I did not present OMA's project in relation to ergonomics. I presented it as an alternative answer to your initial question about stacking.

I'm starting to tire of this. Your stacking/packing question is part one of a two part exercise, yes?

Design a residential project that

a) employs effective stacking/packing techniques to create effective servicing of the units without compromising view and loss of space to circulation

AND

b) Explores the possibilities of Extreme Ergonomics

Or similar?

part a) see AHMM
part b) Read some books.

Oct 29, 08 8:12 pm  · 
 · 

i always use ergonomics to mean the purposeful design of form to match human limitations and body plan in order to maximize comfort and safety.

like lumbar support in a chair. not having lumbar support in a chair would mean it is not ergonomic. sou's house, while provocative, is not ergonomic, but the opposite. it is about making people uncomfortable because it looks cool. also an example of what happens when a single idea drives design irregardless of common sense. I LOVE it. it's pure, it's clean, its entirely clear as a theme, but it isn't ergonomic.

yokohama ferry terminal as ergonomics blown up is very intriguing. i think you could be right.

Oct 29, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
PsyArch

Indeed, Sou Fujimoto's Final Wooden House is wonderful. It was also winner of the Private House category in last week's inaugural World Architecture Festival. But, as jump says, Ergonomics did not feature much in its design process.

Oct 29, 08 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
vyan

thanks for the clarification.

to psyarch- we're not constricted on the use of stacking. were open to any of kind of operations with these 3 materials
1. shell
2. slabs.
3. frames
and with choosing one material, apply an operation that will achieve a sensibility. So.. in the beginning, when I thought ergonomics was my own definition, I decided to find a operation that could achiev ergonomics. I guess putting "extreme" is too strong to use.

what particular project by AHMM should I be looking at?

so I guess I shouldn't use the term "ergonomics", but I idea is similar to Fujimoto, providing a "versatile" space per say.

Oct 29, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

learn about waterproofing details

Oct 29, 08 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: