Archinect
anchor

Architecture & Psycology Reasearch topics

xclubfoot

Hello everyone,

Im looking for architecture research topics which have to deal with Psycology.

For example Environmental Psycology, Neuroscience of Architecture, etc.

Does anybody knows any similar topics that connect architecture with psycology?

Appreciate your help :)

Aug 30, 13 10:33 am
curtkram

there have been a number of discussions dealing with essentially hand-eye coordination and how it relates to design in an era with computers/digital technology.

the going theory among some people is that one has to draw with a pencil or pencil-like object on paper or a paper-like object in order to iterate through creative ideas.  when a person works through the same sort of design iteration using a mouse and monitor (or similar devices), they say that either your brain shuts off, or you use a different part of your brain, or something like that.

i disagree with those people; i think the brain is the brain and the tool is the tool, so perhaps one of the people who believe such nonsense could articulate their position better.  anyway, it's a fairly divisive subject around here, and i don't think there has been much research.  people have pointed out ancillary studies, such as those involving typing v. writing, but i don't think those studies were at all related to the creative process.

Aug 30, 13 11:21 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

I've been a big fan of applying neuroscience to architecture.  While there isn't a lot of books on "this" applied to architecture, you can read books on neuroscience or other books then apply some of that philosophy toward design.  Sociology is another that may apply and could be adapted since buildings house groups and understanding the psychology behind group dynamics could influence design approaches.  

There are lots of business management type books that get into psychology.  Basically, understanding how people think, work, and interact can help you as a designer.

Dec 2, 16 10:50 am  · 
 · 
archietechie

This may seem rather broad but I think phenomenology should tie into your research.

Dec 2, 16 10:57 am  · 
 · 
kristapskarnītis

I think pretty cool research could be done about how VR is entering the architecture industry.

I studied economics, so thats what my mind goes to, but it is very much about consumer psychology, especially the way that clients perceive designs and display risk-averse behavior by demanding better presentation materials and more transparency.

Lately Ive actually felt kind of pressured to start learning up about VR and AR, as its clearly positioned as part of the future in the industry.  Heck, I even made a couple of VR tours in my free time to see how it looks and works.

A little self-advertisement never hurts, here is some cool stuff
http://theviewer.co/share/theConstruct/73662eb8-87b5-4a8d-b7d9-99f6ec3c7629

Good luck, hope this helps - I think its a cool topic to research and definitely super-relevant

Dec 2, 16 11:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: