Archinect
anchor

ergonomic mouse?

rs

I've been noticing increasing pain in my wrist and fingers from countless hours of mouse usage. Does anyone know of an ergonomic mouse that works with 3d modeling software? I've tried a trackball, which turned out to be painful because i would have to hold down buttons with my index or middle finger while rotating the model (with my thumb via track ball) creating some extra tension in my hand. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Sep 14, 08 1:40 am
drizzler

I've tried a number of different "ergonomic" mice, and never really found one I liked. For the last couple years, I've been using a smallish standard mouse with a wrist pad for support and haven't had any problems. The most important thing is your posture. Making sure you are sitting in a good chair with your work surface at a height which allows your fore arm to be roughly 90 degrees will probably do more to reduce pain in your wrist than a special mouse.

Sep 14, 08 2:28 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I like the logitech mouses. The wireless laptop mouse is nice and small, fits perfectly in your hand, has tons of useful buttons.

Ain't cheap, though. I think I paid $70 for mine (you can find them on sale). Also, I've had 3 stop working randomly.

Sep 14, 08 9:55 am  · 
 · 
binary

i have a 5 button intellimouse..... program the buttons for cad and your good to go.......

has a good fit for my hand

i hate small/large mice..........aka mouses

Sep 14, 08 2:16 pm  · 
 · 
xacto
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wireless-Laser-Mouse-8000/dp/B000I4UQFC

really love this thing

Sep 14, 08 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

used to love MS mouses until they changed the scrolling wheel. For 3D, where you use it a ton, it was just too slow/inaccurate, no tactile clicks or rolling.

Sep 14, 08 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
brut

A fellow student had to use a stylus after suffering from carpal-tunnel. Something like this:

http://www.nextag.com/PENPOWER-TOOYA-Digital-Graphics-569144513/prices-html

Sep 15, 08 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Joshua_Yates

I was having wrist/arm problems too and i switched to and "upright" mouse called Evoluent
http://store.ergocube.com/evsu.html
I have the three button mouse right handed and i love it.
it took me about 4 days to get really used to it but after that i was flying.
each button is completely programmable for up to 50 different programs.
this mouse is truly ergonomic, the grip is compared to a "handshake"

seriously, i can't say enough about it, highly recommended

Sep 24, 08 1:32 am  · 
 · 
birder

Logitech mice are pretty good and long lasting. Check those out

Feb 1, 19 7:02 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

if your right handed and average hand size the M705 Logitech is good

Feb 1, 19 7:56 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

just got a Logitech G600. You can map 24 different functions to the side buttons.

Feb 1, 19 8:41 am  · 
 · 
OneLostArchitect

I thought about something like that... how do you like it? you find it helpful?

Feb 1, 19 11:08 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

So far so good. Been with it for a week(ish) now and I've mapped my 24 most used revit commands. I have not had to time to modify it for autoCAD. I got it for dirt cheap on amazon ($40USD on office expense account) so it's a worthwhile flyer.

Feb 1, 19 11:17 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: