Archinect
anchor

Am I Wasting My Time and Money?

This Fall I want to apply to M.Arch 1 programs, but I'm worried that my GRE score will automatically disqualify my application. My Math score is an ugly 138. Verbal is 151. I doubt my math with be above average, even with intense study. I simply don't want to waste my time and money on applications if my application will tossed out because of the GRE.

That said, I think I have a solid portfolio, good references and work experiences. I participated in the Harvard Career Discovery with very good recommendations and encouragement from my instructors.

Do you think my low GRE score will be an uncompromising barrier to successful admissions?

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Aug 18, 13 5:45 pm
observant

No one knows.  First, can you convert this 138 and 151 into 800 system equivalents?

If you struggle with math, the structures courses, though they typically use simple algebraic formulas, might challenge you and you may spend more time than others would on them.  Also, if your intent is to be an architect with the board exams under your belts, you may again struggle with structures and the technical parts.  What is your undergraduate major?  Does it not contain that much quantitative content in it?

This could knock you out of the running at some of the prestigious schools with huge applicant pools.  There are some legitimate public universities that don't require the GRE; however, that is a rare situation.  However, if you have your heart set on the creme de la creme school, and your college transcript is also not strong, then you may be disappointed.  Portfolios are subjective and the good schools see many solid ones.

Simply applying is not a waste - it's not that much time and money.  Apply to numerous schools.  The answers you get may then save you the time and money because they may not reinforce what you wanted to hear or see.  Or they may.  It's a wild card.

Aug 19, 13 10:12 am  · 
 · 
observant

I think the person should apply.  It will bring closure of sorts, one way or the other.  The work is a ball that's in their court, with the exception of seeking recommendations, which are always a pain in the ass for teachers/professors. However, those who teach/pontificate know that that comes with the job.

Aug 19, 13 3:12 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

@ observant: 470a and 370q... which is like 51% and 8% (give or take)

If it's what you want to do you shouldn't even be asking us, JUST DO IT! (please don't sue me nike) Are you coming from an architecture background? I assume you are because at most schools an MArch 1 is for people with undergrad in arch. If you are then the GRE is even less important. Architecture has a tradition of so-so scores on math. Admittedly 138 is not pretty, but a lot of schools put very little stock in GREs.

In addition to the other things you mentioned, make sure your cover letter is fantastic and I think you definitely have a shot.

Aug 19, 13 11:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: