Archinect
anchor

Non-Architecture Bachelor's degree ->MLA.

tsaiquan

Inspired by comments by observant and MixmasterFestus in a separate thread:

Hi All,

I am a recent grad from a non-architecture program (Environmental Science & Technology at the University of Maryland), but am extremely interested in pursuing a MLA in the 2014-15 school year. The subsection of my major (Ecological Technology Design) was presented to me with the idea of being able to contribute to sustainable and engaging design. While satisfied with the program, there is not much in the job market that is open to this field without a design or engineering degree. After some searching and introspection on what I really want to get out of a career, Landscape Architecture appealed to me and I wish I would have considered this discipline earlier so as to not feel somewhat behind right now. During my search, some Googling led me to this forum a few weeks ago and I lurked around for a while but have decided to reach out for input.

Does anyone have thoughts or advice on from you guys on making this transition would be helpful?

Side note: I am looking to move from the east coast study at one the following schools so any thoughts on those both program-wise and financial assistance-wise would be very helpful. In undergrad I was able to achieve a 4 year full ride and Pell grants thanks to my a low EFC and good standardized test scores. I’m not sure what would be available to an out of state grad student, but I am determined and will take out loans if it comes to that. Schools: Cal Poly Pomona, University of Washington, USC or UCB (I’ll likely only apply to one), Oregon, or UMD again for grad school if I must.

Apologies for the long thread. I always feel uncertain about posting these because I don’t want to take up too much attention.

Aug 8, 13 2:33 pm
observant

Ok, for starters, you have a degree in an area of ecology that is simpatico with landscape architecture.  I had assumed you were wondering if a "way out in left field" degree was going to work with (building) architecture.  Your degree will be looked on favorably, as will your having gone to UMD which is considered a good school, though more known along the Eastern Seaboard. 

The thing you will have to do is write a convincing essay as to why you want l.a. and possibly put together a portfolio of some graphic content showing your aptitude for l.a.  For those coming into architecture with unrelated backgrounds, this is the most obscure variable, especially at a competitive school.  Since the applicant pool for MLAs (from unrelated) is smaller, this won't be as competitive, but you should still put your best foot forward.

I don't think you'll have a problem at all.  If you had great SATs, your GREs should also be good and, for the design professions, the threshold in GRE scores is lower than in the sciences and engineering.  All of the schools you mention are good, though I didn't know USC had such a program.  Also, have you considered UVa, VT, UGa, UF, and Cornell in the East, or do you want to move West?  One thing you can cheer up about - they are 3 years and that's it (well, that's a while, but better than 3 plus a summer, 3.5, or even 4, as is the case with M.Arch. from unrelated).  Good luck!

Aug 8, 13 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
tsaiquan

Thank you for the insight! I can definitely put together a good essay, and I do have a few graphic/design projects to show. Hearing what you have to say is reassuring.

I am looking to move West, but I'll keep those schools in mind in case that isn't entirely possible. Thanks again.

Aug 9, 13 8:53 am  · 
 · 
Henriette

Dear tsaiquan & observant,

I have tonight (I'm in asia) written about my challenge of transforming from a business woman in international marketing and business degree into architecture. What you observant reply to tsaiquan above made me wonder about a few things that might be of interest to both of us; are there any courses / programs that also recognize other bachelor degrees, and that would help on shorten the study time? I have read about some masters that are tailored to other professions, e.g. Economists, lawyers, engineers etc, that is not as a continuation of a bachelor degree. I had in mind some courses that are master of arts and / or master of science. My degrees are from Europe, so I would eventually check separately on that system.I also saw some programs to prepare for masters, UCLA Extension on architecture an interior designs. My passion is on the architecture and interior architecture. I draw and so have a creative vein, which is not used in my current professional life. I have decided that it's time to act and stop dreaming and wondering, but make that step. To do so I need more information and advise! Much appreciated! 

Aug 10, 13 9:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: