Archinect
anchor

Help! Grad School Question

tdunn

I am in the process of applying to M. Arch i programs at several schools around the country. My biggest concern is my portfolio because I am not coming from a design background. My GPA is high-- 3.8; and my GRE is good, too-- 1410 (on old scale). I will have good letters of recommendation and I'm not worried about my Statement of Purpose. I know that schools place a great deal of emphasis on the portfolio (as they should) but they also claim that for applicants to first professional programs not looking for advanced standing, the portfolio only needs to show creativity and basic skill in some physical form. I have a lot of set design experience from several years ago and I am also going to include "analog art," like painting and drawing. Do I stand a chance of getting into top ten programs without any recent, formal design experience?  

Aug 6, 13 1:36 pm
observant

Going to your very last question, the answer is yes.  However, expect not to get into all of your choices, but possibly a few.  I would also include a few "safer" schools, by dropping into the top 15.

Your GPA is impressive, as is your GRE (an average of 705 on each section).  They are very weird about what they want to see in 3 year candidates and no one seems to have a crystal ball.  Everything you indicate you'd like to include in a portfolio seems appropriate, providing it's good and is presented properly.  The slip the exhibits into a cheap portfolio holder days are gone.  Also, I would hustle and get into a digital design course for this upcoming term by taking it in the evenings somewhere so you can include some exhibits in the portfolio to show extra breadth.  That's my opinion.

I will quote what someone on an admission committee once said to me:  "The person with good grades who knows how to draw generally makes the best architect."  I agree.  The grades show intelligence and/or work ethic.  Don't kid yourself -  the admissions committees at good schools know this, though a lot of people here will discount the academic achievement and indication of intelligence through standardized testing, and say the portfolio is everything.  It's the lion's share, but it's not "everything."  You can learn how to be a good designer if you have a baseline aptitude.

I take it you are looking at a fall (or summer) 2014 admit.  What was your undergraduate degree?

Aug 6, 13 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

@observant

Have you considered being a student advisor?

Aug 6, 13 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
observant

@ Jono:

You crack me up.  I have been an adjunct 13 times at night, so I have taught.  I don't mind helping students.  This process (M.Arch. 1 from an unrelated background) was difficult to navigate, and I found that I didn't get the best help, since most of the people helping me had B.Archs., couldn't read curricular differences that well, or just knew of schools by reputations that were sort of generic, so I don't mind weighing in since I like looking at all the details of this equation.

Aug 6, 13 3:49 pm  · 
 · 

Nice! I always find your contributions to be very insightful. 

Aug 6, 13 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: