Archinect
anchor

Viewport Antialiasing in Maya: help!

bfraumeni

I am trying to turn up the anti-aliasing control for my maya 2008 x64
viewports.

Is there a way to control this setting in Maya?

Most of the geometry was imported from sketch-up via rhino then 3ds max...so some of the polygons do not have an appropriate amount of faces relative to there actual scale, this might be a major problem.

any other suggestions would be helpful.

also, i am having a terrible time with the mrPhysical Sky, it is as if the model is rotated 90 degrees, the sky renders sideways; BUT the model behaves correctly in the model space.

i am lost.

please help

thanks

Aug 25, 08 12:39 am
rehiggins

anti-aliasing won't make the meshes appear more dense/smooth if they don't have enough polygons to begin with.

skip importing from 3DSMax--import directly from Rhino via an SAT file or some other NURBS-capable file type. There's also a switch in the skp file import options to import the sketchup file as NURBS instead of a mesh. Both of these steps will help keep the geometry "smooth".

As far as the sky rendering sideways: Maya, by default, uses a different axis orientation than MAX and Rhino: the y-axis is "UP" with the x and z-axis defining the "ground" plane. You'll need to change the default orientation (this can cause problems down the line with MEL scripts and other things if you're not careful) or rotate your model accordingly.

Aug 25, 08 12:13 pm  · 
 · 
bfraumeni

thanks for the advice

its not really a low-face count problem=jagged mesh, i think its more of a scale issue or camera issue. the building is all rectalinear. when i am zoomed far out, the model becomes choppy and you are unable to see all of the objects/ faces and their edges. normals are good. ?????

It seems really like a video card issue

BUT I feel like a have more than enough graphics
nvidia quadro fx 3600 m

it has to be some setting either in maya or on my graphics control panel im guessing.

on the other issue:

i have z as up in all of my programs. the models is not rotated it's the physical sky i create in mr. it is just wierd

still confused....?

Aug 25, 08 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
TakeCookesCar

try making sure that when you import the objects that the maya preferences>units is set to match the units of the objects:

i.e. if the object is in feet make sure that the maya scene is in either feet or inches, NOT centimeters. this will cause problems.

and the other issue

there is a little box in the attributes for the 'Sun Direction', it says

[_] y is up

If this is checked,AND 'Z' is set as up in your scene preferences, your sky will appear sideways.

I hope this helps

Aug 25, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
rehiggins

check the camera clipping planes. Do you have LOD/proxy objects enabled for any geometry?

does it look OK when zoomed in at a "normal" zoom factor?

I second the units check as well…

Aug 26, 08 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
Antisthenes

in Rhino the command is TestSetAALevel (high)

maybe it's your video card's weakness

Aug 26, 08 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Stasis

check your near and far distance far clipping in camera attribute editor. it can be a scale issue if models are too big. change unit settings or scale down model might help.

Feb 2, 09 3:01 am  · 
 · 
Stasis

ooops i'm repeating what others already said... sorry..
i usually import as .obj format from sketchup to maya,

Feb 2, 09 3:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: