Archinect
anchor

Exposed Wall Framing Across Window Opening

barley

I'm looking for a very economical way to do a long window in a wood stud exterior wall.  Something about 16' long and 3' tall.  Rather than having to use a header I'm thinking it would work to let the wall framing continue uninterrupted through the window area - either every stud or every other stud.  That way the wall would still bear its own weight but would likely have little or no shear value in that area.  The space in between studs could then be infilled with cheap off the shelf window units.  I've seen several projects where polycarbonate has been fastened directly to the outside face of exposed wall framing but I have not come across any with glass windows.  Can anyone point me towards more projects that let wall framing continue through the window area?

May 27, 11 2:55 pm
citizen

How about Gehry's early houses?  His own, or the Spiller condos in Venice (my particular favorite) for example.  I know I've seen books showing enlarged construction details of his buildings from that era--much more interesting work than the more recent crop in my opinion, but  that's another topic.

Also: hooray for exposing framing!

May 27, 11 3:06 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Think King Stud, Jack Stud, and I figure you want to expose the electrical junction boxes and all the electrical wiring.  I'm assuming your talking about exterior insulation that way you can avoid the fiberglass batt insulation in the walls.   Ya know with enough closed celly polystyrene insulation you should  have a well insulated structure but what plain are you going to place the windows.  If your insulation is over 1" you are going to have to pad out around all your rough openings with 2 x framing.  Geeze maybe you should take a job working for a carpenter before you start thinking to much about your idea.  I'm almost positive if you tell a contractor your thoughts he will look back at you like a deer in the headlights.

May 30, 11 5:30 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

Chuckling at the pink nail pouch.....

May 30, 11 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
snook_dude

ya right dude!  I don't know a damn thing about how a building goes together.

I don't know a damn thing about architecture.

What is an unlicensed purported professional....?

I don't know a thing about lateral shear.

I don't  know a thing about  insulation.

I don't know a thing about electrical.

I certainly don't know a thing about Marvin Windows

with steel thing a majiggers...

Dude all I was trying to do was push the poster to looking

at a more total picture and all of the ramifications it takes to

pull off a concept.  It can be done good and it can be done

bad. I have seen both.

May 31, 11 5:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: