Archinect
anchor

Headphones for the Architect

garbanzo_esquire

Best headphones for the architect or architecture student? I'm guessing they'd have to meet the following criteria:

1. produce exceptionally high quality audio (duh)

2. be sealed or noise-canceling, so others around are not disturbed (this rules out the open but well loved grados)

3. be very comfortable for using over long periods of time

Any thoughts? What kind of headphones do you use?

Jul 18, 08 12:44 pm

try starting here...

Jul 18, 08 1:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sienhausers...Preferably the compact foldable ones...

Jul 18, 08 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
garbanzo_esquire

That thread is mostly about earphones.

Jul 18, 08 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
jhooper

bose triport all the way

Jul 18, 08 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

i actually don't like noise-canceling head phones. it's so disorienting when you're unaware of your surroundings

Jul 18, 08 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

i use this ones for a long time now...no comlains, they might be better ones, but this is perfect for me....

Sony MDR-CD180

Jul 18, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
MADianito

*no complains

Jul 18, 08 2:38 pm  · 
 · 
"That thread is mostly about earphones."

wow... someone is a snarky unappreciative bastard for their first post...

earphones... headphones... whatever, they both play music into your ears...

Jul 18, 08 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i worked at 2 firms back in the day where they wouldnt allow headphones..... and had talk radio on all fkin day...........wtf

radio shack carrys a sony headphone that has noise cancelling..... i've had a pair for about 3 years..... time to upgrade though........ they still work....only thing is the foam pads for the ears are a bit beatup

Jul 18, 08 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
Appleseed

and someone is a dumbass if they don't know that earphones and headphones are quite different. Maybe their snarky, but maybe they just know they don't want IEMs....

Jul 18, 08 3:57 pm  · 
 · 

be careful with the sennheisers...although they sound amazing, i have a pair that are extremely uncomfortable to wear for any longer than 30 minutes.

i have the HD 280 pro

Jul 18, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

At home when I really want to hear the music flawlessly, I have a pair of Sony MDR-V6 Studio Monitor headphones that have served me beautifully since high school. These are the same headphones you'll find being used in most radio stations and professional recording studios. Retail cost is about $110.

At work, I use a basic pair of Sony MDR-G42 headphones. They're very lightweight and have decent sound quality, but they don't totally block out other noises in the office which I need to hear (phone, co-workers, etc.). They're also very cheap (less than $20 I think), so it's no big loss to me if they get misplaced of if I accidentally slice through the cord with an X-Acto knife.

I'm not normally a shill for Sony -- in fact I think a lot of their products are overpriced garbage -- but they do a good job with their headphones and other portable electronics.

Jul 18, 08 4:52 pm  · 
 · 
outed

if you want a pretty good analysis of various headphones/earphones/whateverphones, try www.headphones.com

really, it's a pretty good place to start.

personally, i'd go for the in-ear (true in-ear, not ear buds)

Jul 18, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
outed

crap - wrong site: www.headphone.com (damn plural)

Jul 18, 08 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
fine line
aspect

shure, if ur rich.

http://www.shure.com/index.htm

Jul 19, 08 11:31 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

first time i heard that a earphone has a break in period, after that, it sound super.

Jul 19, 08 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

I thought the most important aspect of headphones for architects would be (aside from being functional) is that they must look SEXY!!

Jul 20, 08 1:26 am  · 
 · 
garbanzo_esquire

thanks to everyone for their advice. perhaps i should have mentioned that i was especially trying to avoid any instruments that, like architphil's cock, are designed to be stuck into ear canals.

headphone.com is a good site, i've already checked it out but they seem to be limited in the number of brands they carry. since comfort is important i guess this is something you have buy in a shop and not online.

Jul 20, 08 1:55 am  · 
 · 
mkell

I recently bought a pair of Denon D2000s along with an iBasso D2 Boa amp. Very happy with the sound and comfort with this setup.

Jul 20, 08 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

just another old topic (e.g. bitchin headphones) for thread

how come nobody asks about something truly innovative like this?...place one upstairs so you don't have to go back downstairs!?!...now that's genius that even le corb could appreciate

Jul 22, 08 12:13 am  · 
 · 
makelovebeforearchitecture

Grado sr-60

Jul 22, 08 3:16 am  · 
 · 
PsyArch

I use these by AiAiAi:

Jul 22, 08 8:48 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

This is how I roll at work

Jul 22, 08 9:30 am  · 
 · 
Atom

Dr. Dre's Headphones: Chronically Good
Jul 25, 08 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
cowgill

i have a pair of wireless Sennheiser 140's and absolutely love them.

Jul 28, 08 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i'm looking for headphones now..... looking for some large ones so i can tune out all the b.s. at the coffee house....

hmmmmm

Dec 5, 08 1:12 am  · 
 · 
aspect

since architect tend not to hear what other say....

Dec 5, 08 1:15 am  · 
 · 
snarkitekt

i have these from panasonic. behold the hotness.

Dec 5, 08 1:04 pm  · 
 · 
Joe Soda

"thanks to everyone for their advice. perhaps i should have mentioned that i was especially trying to avoid any instruments that, like architphil's cock, are designed to be stuck into ear canals."

Excellent job.

Dec 6, 08 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

ok, so I was wandering around London Town c. 1997 and a girl in a bar called Hannah, who was the wee sister of a blonde who used to go out with a drummer in a rock band and she says to me: "Don't you feel stupid wandering around with those headphones?"
They were big Sennheisers.
I replied: "No. I've been drunk every day for a whole year and so I don't care."

Dec 6, 08 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
binary

maybe i can find an old pair of headphones from the early 80's and retro fit some new speakers into them..... then get them all chromed out for tht added hottness.....

i'm still searching..... maybe radio shack might have some... i have to try to headphones on also... my dome is a little big so i need to add that into the equation....

Dec 6, 08 8:36 pm  · 
 · 

or you could just install a radio-mic headset.
After all, the word/music is with you... but that's all wanky conceptual art. Even on aeroplanes I find the iPod headphones perfectly adequate. Media commentators, of course, bore on about the white leads being some sort of neo-yuppie statement about mp3 player consumer choices, but one has to draw the line and, erm, simply ignore them or, if that be intolerable, go sony or yamaha which both come in black.
What, exactly, are you trying to say with these headphones? Is it really 'architect'? Because if it is that's even worse than saying 'Mac'. And in any case, shouting about self-identity on the street is actually rather vulgar :-)

Dec 6, 08 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i saying..."good music"..... hence the reason why i bob my head a little while doing monkey cad and have my headphones on...

Dec 6, 08 8:56 pm  · 
 · 

then we need sommat flashy, glows-in-the-dark kinda wonderment. I see what you mean.
However, I've always had this connection between 'serious headphones' and 'serious musicians' and the sad fact is that 'serious musicians' like black stuff like 'serious motoring journalists' are hopelessely inadequate when pontificating about good-looking cars; you get a kinda 'what joe bloggs in nowhereseville with a bit more cash and no family would drive' kinda version of cool.
Taking serious music production for a moment, the headphones block out all noise, give no warmth to your ears except what compression and testing will allow, callibration-wise, and they're so damned heavy it hurts to wear them after 25 mins. or so.
So, do you want toy-glow or real-boring? It's an endless debate I have with myself.

Dec 6, 08 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
designBandit

These are the best headphones I've ever had.............

http://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-SR80-Stereo-Headphone/dp/B000G3LCQC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229187501&sr=1-1

Dec 13, 08 11:59 am  · 
 · 
nsproductions

i second the mdr-v6's

i use them for djing/music production in addition to just regular listening. they're portable, and you can get them for around 70 from b&h photo/video shipped.

Dec 15, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
n400

See when there is a www.head-case.org or www.head-fi.org meet-up in your area. That's a good way to try out different headphones.

I have senn hd280 pros because they are widely reviewed as the best noise-isolating (NOT noise canceling! Don't get noise canceling!) for under $100. The down side of being so good at noise isolation is that they are clamping. I am small-headed female, so they are comfortable for me.

Do take care of any good headphones when you get them (i.e. do not leave them lying on the ground to get kicked and stepped on), because the drivers are sensitive and when they break, they will rattle and make your music noisy. Also, do buy or make a headphone amp; the difference in sound quality is startling. One of my drivers rattles but it is bearable with a home-made amp someone gave me. There are directions on the above websites and all over the net on how to make your own, frequently cased in altoids tins.

Dec 23, 08 12:19 am  · 
 · 
binary

i think i'll pick up a pair once i get back to detroit. i have to try on the headphones on so maybe i'll hit up a guitar center or a music store to see whats up.

and i'm going to avoid the foam padded ears this time...

Dec 23, 08 12:27 am  · 
 · 

Snark,
Those are some nice looking Panasonics.
I just rebought (as replacements) some Sennheiser PX 100 Collapsible Headphones that I use to have.

I forgot how much bass they bump for smallish headphones.

I can't stand earpuds or headphones (although i have a pair) that go around your ears since i wear glasses i find they are too uncomfortable..

My big problem with all headphones though is that my older I-Pod nano seems to have a biggish output jack hole than the size of the jack on most headphones. So i always get a not perfect connection.
Or maybe the contacts are just worn out after owning the Nano for so long?

Any suggestiosn or peopel with similar problems???

Dec 23, 08 10:35 am  · 
 · 
binary

i think some headphones have a stereo (left/right) plug and other might have a mono (both ears) plug.... this might be the issue....

Dec 23, 08 1:00 pm  · 
 · 

Cryzko,
Ah.. Interesting did not know that.

Dec 23, 08 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
muhammadahmad

recently i was looking for earbuds for my new phone, and i must say there are tons of options in the market, most of earbuds are low priced but quality is low too, i spent 265 on jabra elite 65t and i am satisfied with them, i would suggest you to follow up these two guides as they contain alot of information about which things to consider before buying any earbud. i hope my comment will help you.

1. https://thewirecutter.com/revi...

2. https://www.pollowers.com/best...

Oct 15, 18 9:52 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

most of the firms I worked at really frown on headphone or earbuds, I guess we are expected to talk to each other or something......

Oct 15, 18 11:45 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Sennheiser HD 650 for the office. Open ears so you can still hear when someone wants to get your attention. 

Bose QuietComfort 35 for conference calls, travel, working from home, etc. 

Oct 15, 18 6:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: