Archinect
anchor

Getting a M.Arch with Electrical Engineering Undergrad?

shaneverp

Hey, I'm graduating with a B.S EE come next spring and I've always wanted to get a M.Arch. I've figured out that EE isn't what I want to fully do for the rest of my life. However, once I get out of school I'm shit out of luck financially, mostly. As of right now, my plan is to take a year or two off and get a job, afterwhich I then apply to graduate schools. So, by completely switching degrees, I have a lot of questions.

Would it be better to say screw finances and immediately go back to school? If not, what kind of professional jobs would be allowing of this switch and willing to fund it?

For application, seeing as I don't have projects that pertain that a typical undergrad architecture student would have, what would I include in a portfolio? Sketches, photography, just general refined art projects?

Lastly, in everyone's opinion, what are the best colleges to apply to?

Jul 19, 13 1:35 pm
observant

First, make sure that you have the hand to eye coordination and some semblance of design sense before embarking on this.  If you do, to some extent, it can be further developed.  Architecture should be pursued if you like the blending of art and building science, and not because it seems neat.  It is, but many aspects of it are not!

I would say wait and work, and try to knock down some student loans in the process.  Also, work experience, even in engineering, conveys discipline.  I think the BSEE will be looked on favorably by a lot of schools because it shows rigor and because engineering is a cousin of architecture.

You should know that there are about 10 to 12 schools everybody is chasing for this degree.  The others are easier to get into.  I'm being honest.  It doesn't mean they are any less in terms of quality, but they don't have the mystique of the top schools, those being the Ivy League and the public Ivies.   Since you are coming from BSEE, I would recommend staying away from an artsy-theoretical school and go for a comprehensive program.  With a BSEE, the courses in construction, structures, digital graphics, and even history (regurgitation) will be easy for you.  You will, however, need to hit your stride in the design studio sequence.  Another thing is that they are configured as 3, 3 with a summer session, 3.5, and sometimes 4 years.  I think the best are 3 with a summer session and 3.5, followed by 3 and then by 4 years.  I think THEY need to show some concern for the student, often non-traditional, in how THEY structure the curriculum and the required time commitment.

As for the portfolio, it should be anything that shows three dimensional thinking and graphic ability.   For the 3 year crowd, it's anything, and they see it all.  At a competitive school, they have their hands full trying to tie-break between all these "close calls."  At other schools, good sketches, design exercises, some 3-D graphics or sculpture , and quality photography may work.  I recommend taking 2 freehand drawing courses, a 2D design course, and a 3D design course, if possible, in the evenings at a cheapo school like  a c.c. to develop your portfolio.  You might even take an intro course to architecture with some graphics.  I have no clue where you are, geographically.  Also, try to visit a school and see what successful portfolios look like.  Don't be intimidated.  If you really ARE interested, there's a school for you. 

Jul 19, 13 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
shaneverp

Thank you for this.

I am fully set on going this route. And I believe that I have some intuition when it comes to design. 

I am mostly looking at the 3.5/3 with summer session programs. I don't want a program that is similar to engineering because it will be the easiest, I would actually prefer more of an 'artsy-theoretical' school because of the difference.

For the portfolio, I'm planning on auditing some classes at school or something similar to just get my chops up to speed.

Thanks again.

Jul 19, 13 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
square

You do not want the 'artsy-theory' school, as you call it. Changing from engineering to architecture is a big enough of a jump; no matter what school you go to. 95% of architecture schools will seem 'artsy' compared to your engineering program. You will also have to learn design theory/abstract thinking at every school, so don't think you're missing out on learning those things.. Like I said the adjustment is going to be huge, so  you don't need to go to a school that is way out there.. it could be too much of a shock.

I say this too because it seems that you have little to no background in art and drawing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but those top schools want to see at least some of that, and it has to be the best of the best. You might also get very frustrated/lost with the 'artsy' school teaching philosophy.

Schools also generally select applicants that best line up with their program and interests, so listen to what observant said and stick to a school that is a bit more 'technical;' they will appreciate your application much more.

Jul 19, 13 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I only made the comment about aptitude because we don't know you.  I, too, went into it from something even less related - a commerce related degree.  However, I would draw to no end and used to analyze buildings since I was 7, so I'm not doubting your capacity and your interest.  Family friends were surprised I chose something else to study first.

None of the programs are really technical, compared to engineering, but if you've got 3+ years on your plate, then it wouldn't hurt to look for one that has 2 construction courses, 2 environmental technology courses, and 3 structures courses to balance out everything else.  That amounts to about 21 to 25 credit hours out of over 100 credit hours at most programs.

I won't recommend schools, because I found them by putting curricula side-by-side, visiting the schools, talking to practitioners, and seeing admissions percentages.

Here are what I consider the really tough admits for this program:  Harvard, MIT, Columbia, Cornell, Princeton, Penn, Virginia, Rice, UCLA, and Berkeley.  Challenging admits are:  GT, UT-Austin, Michigan, WU-St. Louis, Oregon, and UW-Seattle.  In Canada, the really tough admits are:  UToronto and UBC.  Other schools not mentioned may very well be competent and even excellent, and may be a fit for you, so don't discount them.

Good luck.

Jul 19, 13 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i went the 3.5 route and had at least three engineers in the group of fifteen that i started with. they all did great, they all run successful firms.

Jul 19, 13 5:54 pm  · 
 · 
shaneverp

Thank you, this is all great advice. Sorry, if the last comment came off negatively, I didn't mean it that way. 

Of course, I don't want too drastic a school. I am majoring in EE and minoring in philosophy so abstract thinking isn't too far out. I just meant that I want something challenging with a less technical rigor that my current degree mandates. It makes sense now that you meant a few courses rather than an extreme amount (I don't know why I thought that). I definitely plan on going through going through curricula and reviewing schools. 

As of right now, I'm going to try and get a job in an architectural engineering consulting firm to accrue some money. I have a little experience with art educationally and seeing as I have at least two to three more years before I apply, I plan on working more on that front as often as I can. 

Jul 19, 13 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
observant

i went the 3.5 route and had at least three engineers in the group of fifteen that i started with. they all did great, they all run successful firms.

When you were in the program, were they using an intermediate summer and graduating people in May, or using a 7th semester and graduating people in December?

Jul 19, 13 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i have no idea.

Jul 19, 13 8:18 pm  · 
 · 
MikeJohnsons89

Just do it As technologies proliferate and industries evolve, organizations across the country face new kinds of risks.

l

Dec 23, 13 1:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: