Archinect
anchor

University of Edinburgh and University of Manchester

K.Ken

Dear Archinect Friends,
Recently, I got 2 offers from the 2 universities stated above. I'm still in the middle of choosing between this 2 university. I would like to ask for your advice and opinion about the university. Below are the pros and cons between the 2 university:

University of Edinburgh:

Pros:
-Edinburgh is a beautiful city to live and I believe it has much to offer to me to see a different culture and life,afterall I have always like Scotland. In fact, Edinburgh as a city is the main reason why I consider Edinburgh.
-I get to keep in touch with some of the future and current students,thus enabling me to freely ask questions regarding the course and their experience whereas I still can't find any student contacts from the university of Manchester.
-The university is an excellent place for sport where many international games representative are from this university,at least in those sports that I intended to join;fencing,akido and etc
-Able to work for 2 years after my graduation
-It has a good foundation year (the degree is 4 years long) which is ideal for people like me,who previously has not any affliation with architecture yet.
-Interesting structure of courses - overall are interesting.
-Not sure if this can be considered as strength but it has a period of studies call placement period where I'll be working closely under an architect before I attempt on my final graduation project.
-According to RIBA reports, It has high rate of transition from the junior years (first 2 years) to senior years (last 2 years) where students from junior years are good in basic.
-It's position in the THES as 24th best uni in the world and 10th best architecture school in UK.

Cons:
-tuition fees and living cost are second highest after London.
-4 years long rather than 3 years long (Duration of the course is not a problem but however 1 extra year of studies will mean a more expensive education compare to degree offer by the universities in England such as Manchester)
-Lack of options and furthermore, options are only possible at third year.

University of Manchester:
Pros:
-Cheaper!!in term of living cost and tuition fees (3 years course)
-It offers options since in the beginning of the course which are interesting and appealing. Students can choose the path that they intended at the early of the course.
-not sure if this is a strength but it shares facilities and resources with University of Metropolitian Manchester.
-30th in the THES ranking and 8th best architecture school in UK,not forgeting the highest employers review and favourite in the real world.

Cons:
-City is not as appealing as Edinburgh but maybe because I don't have much information about it yet.
-too many people studying there are from my country,so what's the point studying oversea if I'm going to bump into familiar faces?lol...!

Somehow I think Manchester offered a better course structure than Edinburgh but Edinburgh offered a better place to live :) So,maybe it's like City vs Course structure,lol!so,please do offer me advice,thank you!

Khai Ken

ps:sorry for the poor grammar structure cuz i'm actually rushing atm :(

Jul 16, 08 2:00 am
jacksonfranks

I'm making the same decision right now. What did you decide?

Apr 1, 19 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
TED

Personally, I like Edin (city) over Manchester. Man U is more MMU than University of Manchester and cohorts are large numbers - it is a good Uni - Having looked at the structure/coursework/project review of both my choice would be Edinburgh. Many UK(England) students do a foundation year prior to Uni so don't be put off by 4 years in Scotland -

Apr 2, 19 6:35 am  · 
 · 
robhaw

+1

Apr 2, 19 2:24 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: