Archinect
anchor

Portfolio - Content vs. Design/Layout

ShakeyDeal

For a graduate school application, should I be that worried about the design and layout of my portfolio?  Obviously the content of the portfolio is the emphasis, but i have been constantly re-working the design and layout of the thing.  Is it really that critical to have a good layout?

Jun 25, 13 1:38 pm
TiredArchitect

I personally think a great presentation of an average project always sells better than an average presentation of a great project. These reviewers will flip through your portfolio within a maximum of 40 seconds. so yes it is absolutely critical to have a nice and clean layout. Do post your portfolio on here if you want comments on it.

Jun 25, 13 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
observant

In the past, when all the rapid advances in digital technology were not in place, I think portfolios could be evaluated by focusing on the stand-alone quality of each exhibit.  Today, because of all the available software, I think that embellishment of the actual quality of the work is easier.  While the design might still be good, the options for presentation ratchet up the wow factor.  Therefore, I agree with the poster above.  A decent project with stellar presentation will probably fetch a better opinion than the converse.

Jun 25, 13 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
ShakeyDeal
You both make great points. I will defintetly post for critique when I have it ready.

Any thoughts on layout design themes? What's well received, etc? I tend to like the more minimalist styles that I have come across, pages that focus on single graphics with short, efficient text explanations. Seems like a suitable and effective way to communicate skills, in 40 seconds or less.
Jun 25, 13 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
TiredArchitect

I like minimalist layouts, honestly it just needs to look clean, not forced, and not put together within 1 hour. I have seen portfolios that are creatively designed with gradients and nice design elements. Get as many eyes to look at it as possible, doesn't matter who. Actually if someone who is not an architecture or a design major can look at your portfolio and understand half to most of it, I think you have succeeded. 

One advice that I think is really important that was given to me by a professor is to design each SPREAD, not each PAGE. The reviewers will see a whole spread (2 pages left and right) when they flip through your portfolio. So if you can connect the spreads, that's a plus.

Have high resolution images for renderings and scans, there is absolutely no excuse for low quality renderings, drawings, scans. Make sure every rastor image is at 300 dpi.

Don't be so minimalist that your projects become vague, there needs to be sufficient information given in terms of the design process even if you want to keep it as minimal as possible.

Print at a professional printing service, and that doesn't mean fedex, office max, or any "mass printing service". I spent like 250 dollars printing out 6 portfolios on great quality papers. But do anything that will increase your chances right?

SPELL CHECK, SPELL CHECK, AND SPELL CHECK AGAIN. (including grammar)

Again, post it online for reviews if you want.

Jun 25, 13 4:54 pm  · 
 · 
observant

I agree with the minimalist approach but, for me, that would mean white space in the exhibits, though it need not be white per se.

I have seen some nice work in portfolios on here which were submitted for our opinions but they were sometimes cluttered with information such as supplementary exhibits, maps, and diagrams, within the very same exhibit.

While you may be limited in the number of pages requested or desired, a project can be displayed across several pages, breathing a little more freely, than crammed into fewer, giving the viewer too much to absorb.

Jun 25, 13 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
ki74

I agree with all the above- clean and minimal enough to draw attention to your projects not your layout. The spread idea is a huge shortcut! really simplifies things..

What would you say though is the minimum number of pages per project? is 2 pages too little (1 spread)? I ask this because of those page limitations they have in admissions.

Aug 3, 13 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
TiredArchitect

ki74: It depends on the magnitude of that project. If it's a pavilion, 2 pages should be enough. High rise buildings probably will take more. I understand schools like Berkeley and Yale have page limitations. You will really need to compact your portfolio but don't be so minimal that it doesn't explain your design process. 

Aug 4, 13 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

A "minimalist" approach is one thing, but the layout and progression of the portfolio needs a rhythm or some kind of cadence as well. 

Look for a way to create repetition between project layouts. In my portfolio, I went for a A-B, A-B, A-C look. I wasn't all that strict on that format, but it makes it easier on the eye, and predictable.

Overall, I think predictability is important in the viewing of portfolios. I've seen some work where it looks like 3 different designers mashed together their work into a binder and tagged it under one person's work. 

Aug 4, 13 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: