Archinect
anchor

mtech in mathamtics and then appplying for masters in architecture

kadam-patil

hello friends

, i did my m tech in applied  mathematics i m interested in parametric,algorithmic design form finding,shape grammar etc,i m inspired by works of zaha hadid and ,frank gehry .

i want to know to what extend will my maths degree help me in architecture ,can i know a specific field which is inclined to mathematics ,algorithmic design and its application in architecture

Jun 25, 13 10:46 am
zonker

very much so

It was a mathematician that made many of Corbusier's designs work

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iannis_Xenakis

Jun 25, 13 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

thanks xenakis ,will my maths degree be an added advantage over other competitors during admission ,provided having same standards of portfolio

Jun 26, 13 1:37 am  · 
 · 
ARC.mar

well it depends on where you're planing to study architecture, in France for instance i would say the studies there are pretty much artistic so your maths abilities wouldn't mean a lot there, for Spanish schools it's completely different they totally focus on the technical issues and the realistic side of architecture therefore you really have to check the program that you'll be heading into before applying ...

Jun 26, 13 10:49 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

hi kadam-patil,

there are design programs that occupy the overlap between architecture, mathematics/ computation, structure/engineering and even industrial design. some might qualify you as an architect ( i believe that the ICD program at in Stuttgart does so) and others might be postgraduate programs that don't require you to be an architect and will not qualify you as one but will nevertheless steer you in the direction of your interest. off the top of my head, the EmTech program at the AA, Product Architecture at S.I.T (which will qualify you for a masters of engineering).

anyway, you should resolve whether you want to access  architecture from a frontal portal or a lateral one.

Jun 27, 13 1:52 am  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

although i do wonder why the Product Architecture program website is stuck in the 2011s.

Jun 27, 13 2:05 am  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

thanks arc .mar and tammuz.x for u r suggestion.

my undergraduate degree is in civil engineering , i dont have a professional degree in architecture ,so what exactly i will be doing after this program i mean to say the job profile ,my parents want me to do a first professional degree in architecture ,

can i know the pros and cons of  both these degree

Jun 27, 13 9:52 am  · 
 · 
ARC.mar

Hey kadam-patil,

Usually architecture programs take 5 or 6 years depending on your grades... but if u already have a degree in civil engineering it will be fairly easy for you so you'll just have to work more on your artistic sensibility and like tammuz.x said work more on the gap between architecture and what you've studied before. otherwise you won't be able to sign your own projects as the architect at least in most European countries that's how it works. So if you got plenty of time to spend on your studies (i'm talking about 5 years at least ) go ahead, if not you could still do it with a "block release training" or a work/study training program. and trust me it worths it. The pros of course are the job profile that the architecture degree provides you therefore it's really interesting financially you get paid more ( You get more responsibility you get paid more )... as for the cons, well i don't know, the only inconvenient is the fact that the architect's job requires more effort than the civil engineer's so you will have to learn to assume more responsibilities. that's how i would describe it.
hope i made this as clear as possible.

check out these online architecture programs 

http://architecture.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi=1/XJ&zTi=1&sdn=architecture&cdn=homegarden&tm=260&f=00&su=p504.6.342.ip_&tt=5&bt=9&bts=9&zu=http%3A//architectureschools.com/programs/architecture/online 

P.S: I agree with your parents...   

Jun 27, 13 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

i m 23 now what i was thinking is do a msc emergent tech work for couple of years and then apply for first prof degree in architecture in us as these degrees are of 3 to 3.5 years.,

is it ok if i get the prof degree after wards,how much  starting salary can one expect after msc in emergent tech .

and how difficult it is to get into these degree

Jun 27, 13 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
chatter of clouds

i think you're asking the wrong questions. and for that reason, i don't think you're well placed to make a reasonable decision. do your research and don't be rash.

Jun 27, 13 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
kadam-patil

thanks tammuz x

but didnt get u r statement  i don't think you're well placed to make a reasonable decision.

Jun 28, 13 1:35 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: