Archinect
anchor

Grad School Orientation

quiksilver

I was wondering how important it is for new students to attend the Architecture school orientations which happen a week before class begins. Is it worth it? I'm debating if I should fly out/move to the east coast earlier than planned for this.

(Orientation happens to fall on my birthday, and I'd rather be home to celebrate it, but if orientation will be a useful experience then I may reconsider.)

May 23, 08 6:34 pm

i think that at a lot of places it is sorta required...

for example when i went through orientation at georgia tech it included setting up email accounts and server space... i also had a meeting with the assoc. program chair to discuss the classes that i took in undergrad and which classes i didn't have to take because of advanced placement... and most importantly there was the description of each of the studios being offered and then the studio lottery...

not to mention the intangible benefits of getting to know the professors and your fellow students that much earlier...

May 23, 08 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
Goletian

It's mandatory at my school, bold and underlined. :)

May 24, 08 2:20 am  · 
 · 
binary

straight/gay/bi/tranny/lesbian/curious/etc

May 24, 08 3:16 am  · 
 · 

i had a different experience. probably could have missed mine. a lot of the things that architphil describes i already had in place for me before i stepped foot in the building i.e. core studios and classes were already decided, advanced placement not an issue...and you can set up an email account anytime...plus you will be seeing your peers and professors enough while you're in school i'm sure. however, you may miss out on some first-come-first-served type stuff like studio space and work study jobs.

for me, spending one last birthday with the homies is invaluable.

May 24, 08 4:05 am  · 
 · 

i think that part of it might depend on whether you're doing a 3 1/2 year program (with no arch. background) or a 2 year program (with an undergrad degree in arch.)... for 3.5ers there probably isn't much choice so it's not so important...

May 24, 08 7:44 am  · 
 · 
quiksilver

I'm going into a 2.5 year advanced placement program at MIT. It doesn't look like orientation is mandatory there, looking at last year's orientation schedules.

Looks like it'd still be a good idea to just be there and make sure everything is in order before school starts and before jumping into studio.

I agree with dot that spending one last birthday with homies is invaluable, but maybe I can do a celebration the weekend before.. ahh can't decide! and I need to submit my move-in date to Graduate Housing by tomorrow! Any final suggestions?

May 29, 08 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: