Archinect
anchor

Need Your Help...Texas Tech Architecture vs. UT Arlington Architecture

number9

Hello Everyone

Recently I have been brought with the desicion wether to attend UT Arlington to finish my B.S. in Arch. or to stay home and finish at Texas Tech Arch. I am asking anyone for advice on this vital desicion. Keep in mind that upon my graduation i would like to apply and attend either SCI ARC, RICE, PRATT, UPENN, UC BERKELEY, you know amongst those ranks. Also i am looking to get my B.S. at a school that is very well known for being DESIGN and THEORETICAL orientated, some where i can learn, and enhance concepts and design abilities, not just become office ready. i have a 3.85 GPA with a 4.0 in my ARCH. COURSES if that plays a factor in anything.

Anything would help and as soon as possible, please. I really need some help with this desicion. Also, just to let you known that money is an issue and i kind of wanted to avoid a full time job so i can concentrate on my studies and designs.

THANK YOU EVERONE

May 18, 08 3:53 am
architorture

myself and many of my friends attended uta for undergrad....for our masters :

one went to parsons
one went to UCLA
one went to ohio state
acquaintence went to GSD
aquaintence has been accepted at bartlett, aa, cranbrook, etc.

i went to tulane, with a stint at upenn..

all that being said...all of our friends have realized[and discussed] how much uta has given us for a fundamental education in architecture...the work ethic is very rigorous as the school does put alot onto craft and concept, and it's competitive...but the competition includes a comrarderie that is unsurpassed. it really is a training ground that has opened alot of doors to further opportunities...

uta as a whole does not necessarily have a school community like i would assume that texas tech has...but the architecture school at uta is very close knit, and there are alot of opportunities available...
they also have many study abroad and travel opportunities

[ps. if you go to uta make sure you take at least ONE sememster from John Maruszczak ---he will shift your paradigm]

the game at uta is to make sure you take the good profs:
bijan, maruzczak, gintole, brad bell, and there is now some new blood in the faculty that i've heard are doing some great projects..

you take the good profs and you won't be disappointed...you take the easier profs and you get what you get...

i don't know that much about texas tech, but most of the people that i've met that came out of tech were more of the cad monkey type...and the people that i know that are good designers that came out of tech told me they had to "fight the system" in alot of ways, being that it's a more traditional type of school...THEIR WORDS not mine...

May 21, 08 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

didn't you already ask us this in another thread?

May 21, 08 2:48 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I am a uta student and I love it. There is a lot of drawing and focus on imagination, orientation of fluid design and innovation. Architorture is right when mentioning the competition. I have at many times worked on a project for 15-20 hours due two days later for the prof. to not look at it or count as a grade. At the time, it pissed me off but later I realized how much I learned by these motions.

May 21, 08 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
idiotwind

I am a uta student and I love it. There is a lot of drawing and focus on imagination, orientation of fluid design and innovation. Architorture is right when mentioning the competition. I have at many times worked on a project for 15-20 hours due two days later for the prof. to not look at it or count as a grade. At the time, it pissed me off but later I realized how much I learned by these motions.

· 
idiotwind

· 
idiotwind

· 
idiotwind

Sorry about the posts my computer is on drugs.

· 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: