Archinect
anchor

holz box - how IS the puget sound region doing?

ChAOS

i know you're there and practicing so i'm hoping you'll provide a little more insight.

do you have any feel for the pulse of k-12, higher ed, commercial, etc or are you mostly in res?

i've got contacts there but am looking to round-out the view of what the near future might look like.

May 11, 08 6:09 pm
won and done williams

there's this really awesome new thing called email you might be interested in.

May 11, 08 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

ChAOS

you will be fightin' me for jobs ;)

May 11, 08 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

not fighting you mdler...have enough contacts to pass around depending on the area you're interested in :)

jafidler - thought about that, decided to post as a discussion b/c i can't remember who else is practicing in seattle/puget sound region right now - but thanks for the heads up, it's much appreciated :)

May 11, 08 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i know...I have a list of contact as well that I need to narrow down. Restaurant design and / or design-build is what Im interrested in

May 11, 08 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

wtf? i get called out?

as far as non-res, we're not seeing any slowdown, although i thought that was mithun's bread-and-butter and overheard that they recently axed 1/20th arbitrarily, or rather said it was arbitrary but probably wasn't.

callison is hurting for people. so there are jobs, you just might not land a spot w/ cobb or kundig on the first go-round

May 11, 08 7:44 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

Callison uses Microstation...WTF?

May 11, 08 7:52 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i don't know, i think they might. i'm thinking nbbj does as well, maybe?

May 11, 08 7:54 pm  · 
 · 
ChAOS

thanks holz.box - sorry for calling you out in the title but it got your attention didn't it :) happy to hear it's mostly res being affected right now...i'm dying to get out of that area anyway.

mdler - my contacts are mostly in the k-12/schools sector there...afraid i'm not much help in the rest. bus...although if south puget sound is intriguing (looks weird but i checked, it's spelled right) i do know some D/B offices. can't guarantee anything since it's been over a decade since I've lived there but I try to maintain contact. if the firm i'm wanting to work for isn't hiring then i may just shoot you an e-mail (now that I know such a thing exists thanks to jafidler).

May 11, 08 8:10 pm  · 
 · 
wrecking ball

my friend at bcj san francisco says they use microstation - don't know if this is true of bcj seattle...

May 11, 08 8:34 pm  · 
 · 
holz.box

i'm pretty sure the ballard library was done w/ microstation...

however, i know they've gotten a few bim-iacs in the last few years as well...

May 12, 08 2:20 am  · 
 · 
dml955i

ChAOS - check out Mahlum in Seattle. They do some pretty nice school work (won an Honor Award a year or two ago).

BCJ still uses MicroStation, but is slowly making the transition to Revit as more and more clients (especially academic) are requiring BIM.

May 12, 08 9:42 am  · 
 · 
ChAOS

thanks dml955i. saw them do a presentation once and really enjoyed their work. i know they're also at the forefront of designing schools sustainably.

have to wonder what % of firms are slowly transitioning to Revit. haven't really heard much about it here in NY but most of my contacts are in the 30- employees.

when i left the PNW a few years ago rarely heard MicroStation but Revit was being explored in a few places.

May 12, 08 11:29 am  · 
 · 
e28

I know some people in the firm I work at are heading back to school in the fall so some potential spots will open up. They do schools and are starting to use BIM in more projects.

I know NBBJ uses Microstation not sure about Calison I know some people that interviewed there and were given an AutoCAD test.

mdler it will be interesting to see where you end up since those are my two areas of interest and will probably be looking for that type of work in the next couple of years.

May 13, 08 2:22 am  · 
 · 
mdler

e28

are you in Seattle??? If so, can you recommend restaurant firms?

May 16, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: