Archinect
anchor

Switching to the Architecture Field and Pursuing a M.Arch I

jaccivalino

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me any insight to what I should do since I would like to switch my field to architecture and will be starting to apply to M. Arch. I programs at the graduate level for the Fall of 2014.

My background is as follows:

• Bachelor of Arts in English
  • Minor in Art
  • GPA 3.58
  • Signed up to take the GRE on August 8th, 2013

Goals:

• to practice architecture (obviously)
  • specialize in preservation (through master's program with architectural preservation courses or a graduate certificate in historic preservation)

I'm not sure which schools to apply for and which schools I could get into. I would like to go to the best school possible and somewhere that may have a program tailored for this type of interest.

If anyone could give me some suggestions/insight it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you! :)

Jun 8, 13 5:25 pm
observant

Some cool stuff:  BA in English, of the liberal education choices, seems to be well liked because it's sophisticated, and so is architecture.  Well, there's a faux intellectualism to both, so it works!  An art minor is definitely a plus.  Your GPA is more than what is necessary to gain admission, even to the best schools.  I'm sure you'll do fine on the GRE, especially in V, so bone up a little in math if you have to.

How long ago did you graduate, if you don't mind?  Just now, a year ago?  The more recent the better.  Also, consider the media of your art work.  Does it display 2 dimensional thinking more so than 3 dimensional thinking?  You will need to convey the latter.  As I've come to learn form archinect, the portfolio is the most important piece.  This is not a process where grades, GRE, portfolio, and essay/letters are equally weighed.  Instead, it is a subject process in which they "project" how you will do.  That said, get access to other successful students' entry portfolios to see what they assembled and how they did so.  There is a level of slickness today made possible by better technology.  I don't think it involves putting 12 loose leaf exhibits into clear sleeves in a slim portfolio holder bought at the art/stationery store and sending it off like it once did.  It will need to be competitive and make a real impression for the better schools.  For the less competitive schools, evidence of artistic ability is sufficient.  For your interest in preservation, some schools will definitely be better than others - from a good fit to a lack of fit.  The only way to find out is to Google the programs and to scour their curricula to look for evidence of a preservation "major" and/or electives to that effect.

Jun 8, 13 6:08 pm  · 
 · 
OoohnooO

Go where it costs the least. Thats what I am doing when I graduate from UMich this year; is to get in their M.Arch 1 program since I am an instate student. Even though my ideal M.Arch 1 program choice would be either Yale or UC Berkeley if cost were not a factor. 

I have to second observant as well on the math portion, usually ends up being the dagger for a lot of people. This is coming from me as I'm at UMich now with a Philosophy major and minor in Finance. I have a lot of friends here that wanted to pursue architecture but could not handle, comprehend the mathematics.

Jun 9, 13 8:35 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Go where it costs the least. Thats what I am doing when I graduate from UMich this year; is to get in their M.Arch 1 program since I am an instate student.

Good advice, or go to the most he or she can afford.

As for your going to UMich, I think that was a great choice and their pluralistic curriculum and outlook will only serve you well.  I think that they require a distribution of "selectives" in history/theory, systems, and structures beyond the base core is excellent.

Jun 9, 13 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
snail

Having the GRE be a little bit weaker in math isn't a big deal. As others have said, the portfolio is basically everything. Look at the portfolios of other students who were accepted to your top choice schools and attempt to learn from them. Also show your portfolio to an architecture professor to get their feedback, if you can. Also, I would be cautious about being so sure that you want to do historic preservation right now - how much experience have you had as an architecture student? I would suggest starting with a broad approach before you decide to pursue a more specific aspect of the field.

Jun 10, 13 1:41 am  · 
 · 
observant

Yes, snail, it's not a big deal, since the GRE is used for all STEM grad work.  However, I've heard that, when on an 800 scale, they liked to see a couple of 600s at the top schools, and a couple of 500 or 550 at the decent schools.

Math is what keeps a lot of undergrads and grads out of architecture school when it shouldn't.  The math in a-school just isn't that difficult.  Math, and physics, are just hurdles.  In fact, if a person took both intro calculus and intro physics in summer school at a local public university and got Cs in both of them, they could make it through a grad a-program.  I didn't see the technical classes push people out of a-schools.  It was the design sequence.

Jun 10, 13 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bwatson

Ive seen people on archinect with GRE scores below 150 get into yale this year and other good schools, but have seen that their portfolio make up for it 

Jun 10, 13 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
jaccivalino

Thank you all so much for your feedback and help!

observant:

I graduated in May. I will be including both two dimensional and three dimensional work in my portfolio. I have done quite a few pieces with clothing, accessories (bags, beanie hats, etc.), some printmaking, and some steel sculpture. I also have some drawings that I could include.

I also am planning to get a certificate in Architectural Technology at a local community college and take college level Physics and Calculus within the next year. Is that a good move?

I think I may take the GRE over during the summer of next year since I will have more math behind me, but it is only a thought

snail:

I have not become an architecture student yet, but I want to do historic preservation because I have always enjoyed old structures stylistically and want to preserve them so that their architectural history will not be lost in the ruins of time. As a child, I wanted to design modern residences with a Victorian influence since I really like structures from that period, but as a became older I thought about preserving structures from that period and earlier and gained an interest in doing that. Of course I'm sure that as I delve deeper into architecture and study it my tastes/interests will evolve, but this is my tentative plan until that happens :)

LanceYatooma, observant:

To be honest, I'm not too worried about the cost. If I'm able to gain admission to an Ivy league or quite reputable school then I will accept admission and figure out how to fund it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if I get a job in the field coming from an Ivy league/reputable school for architecture I would be able to eventually pay back the debt that I incur. I also plan to try my best to apply for any type of aid that I can to fund my education in the field.

Jun 15, 13 11:01 am  · 
 · 
observant

@ jaccivalino:

Good.  It sounds like you have a variety.  Make sure the embellishment of the presentation is good, and less stand-alone, as was mine when I went through this.

As for the courses in calculus and physics, do try to aim for Bs.  I think I saw one school that wanted Bs.  Also, find out if the first half of physics (mechanics) will satisfy them so you don't have to take the second part containing electricity and optics.

Sure, if you're not feeling overwhelmed, a certificate in arch. tech. from a c.c. would be a good thing in terms of understanding how things go together and learning some graphics.  It will make the early part of the curriculum easier.  However, downplay this somewhat with a snobbish school, because they seemingly recoil at anything vocational.  I did a certificate like this prior to going and it helped me.  Also, be cautious about inserting too many exhibits from this endeavor into your portfolio which look too vocational.  I bring up the term vocational again because M.Archs. are intended to create broad, conceptual thinkers.

About the school and money choice, I don't have an opinion on this.  I went to a public university to avoid dealing with that issue.

Jun 15, 13 1:39 pm  · 
 · 
square

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that if I get a job in the field coming from an Ivy league/reputable school for architecture I would be able to eventually pay back the debt that I incur. I also plan to try my best to apply for any type of aid that I can to fund my education in the field.

Be very careful about this assumption. I would search the threads on Archinect, as there are many discussions about this very issue. If you're graduating with 100k+ in loans (going to an Ivy unfunded will cost you at least 50k a year for three years, so you're probably looking at 150k without aid), the odds are it will be a large part of your paycheck to repay that debt (over 1000 a month), unless you land some super sweet job that pays you more than the typical 50k a year right out of school. 

Point is, yes going to a great school has some awesome advantages, but don't assume you'll get an amazing job just because you have that degree. Do the research for the schools you're interested under the financial aid pages to really understand how much the degree will cost, then weigh the advantages/disadvantages.

Jun 17, 13 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: