Archinect
anchor

Thoughts on UW Seattle Undergrad Program?

ignasio93

I'm a prospective Architecture student (currently first year) trying to decide whether I should transfer to SCI-ARC, Cal Poly SLO or Cooper Union. I currently attend UW and am planning (and most likely will stay) on the UW Architecture program. Money certainly is an important factor, and I'm wondering if it will worth the transfer, if it ever works out. 

Some of the reasons I'm considering about transferring: I've been wanting to experience somewhere new other than the Pacific Northwest, Puget Sound area. I have spent the last 7 years around this area and I thought it would be great to learn from elsewhere around the country. Also, I can't surely say that I'm "happy" here, for whatever reason. 

If it matters, I am planning to go through a graduate school somewhere. Likely, if I'm staying here for undergrad, I'll go elsewhere, whereas if I'm transferring, there's a good chance of me returning here for graduate school. 

Could anyone give me some advice? Thank you!

May 22, 13 7:17 pm
observant

Ok, so you're looking at two privates and a state school.  If not a CA resident, Cal Poly SLO is tough to get into.  You know your portfolio, grades, and SATs, and you need not share.  If you've been up there 7 years, then you are "out of state" for California purposes.

Actually, for a 4 year, UW is a decent program.  I think they start the architecture stuff at a low-key level in year 2, and then you apply for the final 2 years.  It has some meat on its bones, meaning they teach some practical things ... and they are required.  It should be a B.S.  It's on quarters.  Bleh.  However, I'd stay put.  You can then go somewhere else for grad school.  If so, you're always an alum of UW and can choose to go back to Seattle later on.  Or, if you find another 4 year program that's really good, you can go there and go back to UW for grad school.

Why do you question whether you're happy there?  Is it the weather and the fact that it's kind of an impersonal campus, comprised of residents and commuters?  Actually, once these big campuses pick their 3rd year architecture students, a sense of community begins, more often than not.

May 23, 13 1:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: