Archinect
anchor

MArch II GSD Concern

ughbaguette

Hello,

I was recently admitted to the GSD for an MArch II with a reasonable scholarship/loan amount.  However, given my existing undergraduate student loans I am somewhat concerned with the return on investment. A lthough, of course, I am not attending for financial reasons - I am somewhat concerned that upon graduation the loans will hold me back.

Am I delusion to question attending given the prestige of the degree?

How much values does an MArch II realistically have given that I only have 1 year of professional experience?

I have considered that continuing to work and re-applying in several years may be a more intelligent decision - but I am concerned that I may not be accepted into the program at that point.

I appreciate any help before I make the final decision.

Apr 13, 13 5:19 pm
machine à habiter

I, too, have found myself in a similar situation this year. Have indeed made a decision, but still with what-ifs in my mind. 

Although this thread is surprisingly quiet, I do have a feeling that ughbaguette and I may not be the only ones.

Any comments anyone?

Apr 15, 13 10:23 am  · 
 · 
ziazia

Hey there, the only thing that would make me doubt is that you only have 1 year of professional experience. My experience is this: I am doing my M.Arch this fall but I have had 3.5 years of experience accumulated. I feel 3.5 years have given me solid enough foundations to go to the M.Arch with a clear idea of where I want to direct my studies.

Do you feel you are ready for your masters? I would not give to much importance to wether the degree has prestige or not, but what you will make out of it. I would suggest that a couple more years of professional experience will make you get the most out of a masters. Just keep the portfolio updated and current as you go. I am sure they will admit you again in a year or two. 

Anyway, that only my point of view. 

Apr 15, 13 10:41 am  · 
 · 
ughbaguette

Thanks for the responses.

I have ultimately decided not to attend. My thinking is very much in line with yours and I have decided to continue working and develop ideas on my own in preparation for masters in a year or so.

Apr 15, 13 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

ugh - before you turn in the letter, send me an email offline. i was in your same position - same degree, same experience - (granted, it was more than a few years ago), but i'd be happy to share what i've learned looking back. 

Apr 15, 13 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: