Archinect
anchor

price for 3D presentation

trka

I need pricing list for 3d renderings and animations. small office asked me for this freelance work, but I do not know how to charge them. any idea? thanks in advance.

Sep 10, 04 4:56 pm
Jeremy_Grant

take what you think you deserve and multiply by two

Sep 10, 04 6:31 pm  · 
 · 
Jeremy_Grant

can you list the contents of the package you are going to provide?

Sep 10, 04 6:32 pm  · 
 · 
trka

they have 2d cad drawings (7 stories office building).
the package would be

3d renderings, animation (in the urban context), walking trough the lobby and offices, some details in 3d, as well

Sep 10, 04 6:41 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Figure out how many hours you think it will take you, and doubling that is not a bad idea, as there will be changes, you will make mistakes, and I am guessing you don't have much experience if you are asking how much you should charge. Then multiply that by what you want to make an hour.

Do you have the computers, or will they be providing them? Software? Entourage stuff (people, cars, furniture, landscaping)? It goes on and on.

Depends on where you are, too.

US prices will range from about $20 - 200 per hour, depending on a million factors. As always, people get what they pay for.

Sep 10, 04 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I can tell you that they are asking for A LOT! I hope you have a few fast computers, but if not, I'd get a retainer (you should get one, anyway) and buy at least one kick ass computer!

Sep 10, 04 7:05 pm  · 
 · 
trka

all is mine (computer, software)
i work with VIZ and MAX
i used to work for friends, who are struggling in the NYcity (for free) or in the office where i work for salary (
this firm likes things i done
so, I am experienced in modeling but super bed (worse than very bad) with negotiation

Sep 10, 04 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd ask them what their expectations are, what they are willing to pay, then tell them it's too low (as it will inevitably be), but make sure you have a number in mind. I am guessing you want the work and don't want to scare them off, so you need to find a number that will get you the work, but won't give it to them for free.

Calculate your estimated hours, that's important, including how long you think it will take to render and do any post work. If the expectations are low, meaning that they don't expect photo real, then it opens up a lot and will make your life easier (although you can't charge as much).

What would help:

Where are you? Prices vary a lot. NY is a killer place to work, rent and cost of living is really high, versus somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Price it in stages so you don't get screwed.

What will you use to render? Mental Ray (probably not) or regular scanline (I'd forget Light Tracer unless you have really fast computers).

There's tons more, like how long the animations are (and how much experience you have doing them), total still images, etc.

It will take you several weeks, at least, so plan on starting there. No doubt you'll be up all night making sure your machine doesn't crash, too.

Just remember that they need you. They know they'll get it cheaper through you than a specialized firm. You probably will want them as future clients, too, so make sure you do a good job and make them happy.

Sep 10, 04 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
trka

thanks a lot.

it makes life a little bit easier.
uh, negotiation
i must practice, definitely

Sep 10, 04 11:17 pm  · 
 · 
Dan

When I did 3D rendings freelance I would typically charge $40 to $65 per hour. The revisions and changes for 3d can be endless, if you charge per hour, you're less likely to get burned with revisions.

You should, however, be able to tell the client roughly how long it will take you to complete the project and how many revisions they are entitled to in that time period. And, of course, get everything in writing.

Sep 11, 04 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Dan has a good point. If you are on really good terms with these guys, and they trust you, charge by the hour. I've done this successfully a few times and it made me a lot more cash!

I'd pitch this first, and give them a ball park, pending any changes. That way you can always charge more for their indecision, lack of information, etc., that always happens (don't be surprised when your plans don't line up with the sections).

Sep 11, 04 8:32 pm  · 
 · 
ferplexion

$2500 / week

Sep 11, 04 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

100 an hour min. This is what I charge and get for freelance work.
I don't need money This is what my Time is worth to me.
I don't even take the job for less than 1,000 min.
Depends on how hungry you are. Do not sell yourself or the craft short.

Sep 13, 04 10:09 am  · 
 · 
trace™

I agree with STARK3D - don't sell the profession (the 3D Viz business) short. Good luck getting 100 per hour!
I won't take a job for less than a grand, either, but it's rare you get through more in 10 hours.

Tip of the hat to ya, if that's really what you are getting paid, consistently.

Sep 13, 04 12:31 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

I think the faster you are,the better you are, the more you can charge. If it takes you a week to plug something out and it does not look photo relistic you Can Not charge 4,000 for it even if it took you 40 hours.

Now on the other hand you can model it in 5 hours then texture and light it in 5 more hours, render over night and it looks great you should get 1000 for it.
If it takes me 40 hours to do an image I do get about 4,000 but then it looks like it took me longer than 40 hours.
I think the kid is just starting out...,So 25 an hour is a good start.
The trick is to have a good eye then get very very quick, you will do fine in this business. But watch out for competition from Russia and China These guys are good and they charge 1/1oth of what I charge.

Sep 13, 04 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Ok Trka
I read the program.
I know this type of client inside and out
They know you love the work
and they want the world for free.
And if you take this job they will kill you litterally.
A rendering of 7 story building is easy.
Animation is a Whole new ball game.
Will they want editing, sound, storyboards,
This is a walk away,,,. No correct that
This is a run away from this Project. Say sorry to this one
You will thank me later.

Sep 13, 04 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I'd be careful about saying no. If you are just learning, there is nothign better than being paid to practice.

I've taken jobs for much less than I wanted to work for, just to have the client come back later with a larger project and not question my 'real' fees. This has happened more than once, and sometimes it's good as you are getting a client base, learning the software, etc.

But apparently there is info that I am unaware of?

Sep 13, 04 3:11 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

But Trace You know Cilents like this one.
They think since it done on a computer it's easy.
It sound like they want an interior and exterior animation.
The Cilent Which is a small Architects office will want this done for
2,500 at the most. 25 dollars an hour for 100 hours sounds good Until you take 1/3 tax 825=1,650
The Software and Computer power to do this will cost you Plenty.
Editing ans Sound software time to do that
An Animation Without Sound Sucks. Outputing to VCR
Fine. I have a 100,000 dollar Digital suite at work I can use for free, even with that it is hard for me to make a profit on an animation.
Setting up for an animation is alot harder that a simple rendering.
Thus maybe just do a rendering and for get the Animation.

Sep 13, 04 3:48 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

it looks like the client is kinda inexperienced with such work (have they done this type of stuff before??? how much did they charge for it??? who did it for them???)
you have to feel them out by spending some time with them...if they have done such stuff earlier, they either like ur work better or sensing ure fresh want to rip you off. this question can be easily answered by asking what they paid the other guys before.

if they have not done such work before they would tend to bukle under 100$ per hour, and i think 25$ is a good amount. remember that there are many other people in the market and you have to strike a good balance of getting paid well and not losing the job

Sep 13, 04 4:01 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

I do know clienst like this, but I also know it's better to get paid something to learn then nothing at all.

Just tell them that they can either pay you more, and you'll get it done quicker, or less and it'll take longer. This gives you flexibility and control.

Sep 13, 04 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
trka

thank you all.
i told them 60 per hour.
they said - ok.
hopefully, i will survive.
i`ll let you know.
you helped me a lot.
i am thankful to archinect, as well.
it recovers something what should be professional solidarity.

Sep 14, 04 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

Congratulations. Did you give them a ballpark figure? I'd make sure you got paid every week, because they are going to be in shock when they get the final bill.
FYI - I rarely ever tell clients what I charge per hour, most only want to know the final cost and don't care if I am charging $200 per hour or $20, just what it adds up to.

Good luck.

Sep 14, 04 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
RqTecT

Great Job
Have fun with it and learn all you can.

Sep 14, 04 10:05 pm  · 
 · 
todd

how did this job ever turn out. It would be interesting to read the result.

trka - if you are still reading, do tell.

Aug 1, 05 12:34 am  · 
 · 
Cassiel

$100 an hour... Wow. Someone just mentined to watch out for the Chinese, and what can I say, so true. Enjoy it while it lasts.

I learned to do 3D animation and rendering in the States, mostly 3DS and Brazil. I did quite good.

Now, I am working in an office in China. When I showed my 3D work in my portfolio and asked what programs they used, they laughed at me. 3D is done by the modellers in the office, they get less payed and are lowest on the prestige ladder...

Aug 1, 05 9:04 am  · 
 · 
.dwg

Cassiel, so if you're student/intern in China, what other jobs do they have you doing if not 3d?

Aug 1, 05 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Cassiel

At the moment they are putting me at revising earlier designs, mortly urban design or large office/commercial complexes. Right now I am am working on a project that has been completed a year ago by the office, but they have just started contruction. That means it will really be built, it is important wow it looks, and they want to alter the design. They also want a lot of input from me as a westrener; doesn't mean they listen too much thoug... :)

The office is Chinese, and we are two Europeans working there, the rest Chinese. That means the pay is really bad, but on the other hand I get a lot of responsability, considering it is my first job.

The quality of work is very varying. They do some nice small scale projects, but mostrly it is huge projects that can be horrible. Really makes you think you are back in Texas again when you see the concept of "urban" here.

As for my role, it remains to be defined. I have only been at the office a short time, and am learning and being tested by the boss. So I do fun things, I don't know yet if they will go for my designs.

Aug 1, 05 7:58 pm  · 
 · 
archigo

I have 4 years of experience doing renderings at work, but I want to go off on my own. For personal reasons I only want to work 20 hours a week. Is this reasonable? What can I do to keep the work flow going without getting swamped?

Aug 26, 05 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
raji

if you have been doing this for 4 years, wouldn't you know the answer already?

Aug 26, 05 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
archigo

I've been having other people (my boss) get the work for me and schedule my time, but now that I have to find my own work, I need to figure out a way to balance it so that I don't bite more than I can chew....

Aug 26, 05 5:14 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

if this work is done at the request of the client, the firm will probably bill the client and add some profit on for themselves. that's what i'd do.

Aug 26, 05 6:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: