Archinect
anchor

Bill Massie

agrippa

any new works from this guy?

Feb 4, 08 12:57 pm
John Cline

For about a year he's working on a (modular) house that should be done in a couple of months. The house will be installed and on display adjacent the Cranbrook museum. (It was suppose to be done this past fall for the Saarinen Show but was delayed)

There's a residence in Red Hook, NY that was finished this past fall.

Feb 4, 08 1:07 pm  · 
 · 
i.g.lu.s.

how do you know Bill?
He taught at Montana State when I was there 98-02.

Feb 4, 08 4:13 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

old works:

Feb 4, 08 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Cranbrook

Feb 4, 08 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
misteranderson41

he hasnt done much since PS1.....splitting time between rpi and cranbrook teaching right?

Feb 4, 08 6:14 pm  · 
 · 
ether

He's full time at Cranbrook.

Feb 4, 08 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
agrippa

i think he's no longer at cranbrook

http://www.aimeee.com/cranarc/site/index5.html

Feb 5, 08 12:12 am  · 
 · 
agrippa

and his website's gone... hmm.

Feb 5, 08 12:13 am  · 
 · 
chupacabra

that site seems to be old.

He is still there

http://www.cranbrookart.edu/Pages/ArchitectureDept.html

Feb 5, 08 12:23 am  · 
 · 
John Cline

As I mentioned above, he's fulltime at Cranbrook.

For his own reasons, he pretty much dismantled any web presence of he (Massie Architecture) and his work. You'll find some stuff out there from various sources (mostly old work) but you won't find anything directly from him.

Feb 5, 08 9:12 am  · 
 · 
tourant

Word is he bought a warehouse/shop building in Detroit and is building a number of prefab spec houses, as well as some super high-end house (in collaboration with someone) for one of the Taubman's in that area...

Feb 5, 08 9:32 pm  · 
 · 
emaze

american house '08:

Apr 1, 08 10:17 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell
He's lecturing Monday at Ball State.

I think I'll be there, if I can get a babysitter arranged.

Apr 1, 08 10:38 am  · 
 · 
emaze
men's vogue
Apr 2, 08 4:56 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams
an interesting article on american house 08
May 10, 08 11:16 am  · 
 · 
ether

Thanks, jafidler. It seems Bill's desire to remove all things "Massie Architecture" within the digital realm have ended.

May 12, 08 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

the house still costs $780,000....

May 12, 08 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

mdler, that is an excellent point.

May 12, 08 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

i mean, if you are going to do pre-fab dont make it more than custom

pre-fab is bullshit

May 12, 08 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
blah
the house still costs $780,000....

What is he selling it for?

May 12, 08 7:36 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

were the original case study houses inexpensive? no, just as i don't think massie intended this house to be inexpensive; instead i think he wanted to experiment with everyday building materials and digital fabrication. the house has far more to do craft in the age of mass production than it does prefab. of any project i've seen recently it really does push the ideas embodied in the original cases study houses into the twenty-first century. (and it looks pretty sweet too.)

May 12, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
John Cline

Did you get a chance to stop by the Degree Show? I'm hoping to make it back there this summer. (to pick up the rest of our frickin' furniture) Maybe I can catch AH 08.

May 13, 08 9:20 am  · 
 · 
mdler

my point is that pre-fab is being marketed as a cheaper aloternative to custom design when it is more expensive in many cases

May 13, 08 12:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

most prefab, unlike what we see in dwell and what we design on our napkins at lunch, do not use longspan beams, steel, huge expanses of glass, this kind of stuff may look like "prefab" may look easy from a production standpoint, but that's not what the industry is about. not saying its good just pointing out a factoid. and i know this because i used to work for a firm that had a contract that stamped manufactured houseplans.

May 13, 08 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

true. "prefab" in the magazines is just an excuse for modernism. most tract homes are prefab nowadays.

May 13, 08 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
le bossman

that wasn't a stab at the massie house. just a general remark.

May 13, 08 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: