3d printing question

binary

can you go from sketchup to .stl?

or sketchup to .dwg to .stl?

curious.....

might try to find sketchup to mess with anyways

Jan 28, 08 11:45 pm
ff33º

RHINO covers all this..25 free saves..and tranistions well..read the help menu from RHINO.

Jan 28, 08 11:58 pm  · 
 · 
binary

just curious on the sketchup...cause i have a secret project that i'm doing in cad...but this project has been done half-ass in sketchup...... just dont need people to get the idea that they can easily take a sketchup file and get it 3d printed......

thanks

Jan 29, 08 2:14 am  · 
 · 
RossM

Iv gone from sketchup before to stl but the model needs to be air tight and alll your normals need to face the right way round.

Jan 29, 08 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Luis Fraguada

I am not sure about the geometry in Sketchup... ff33 makes a good point. For the most part, Rhino can get you a pretty good model fixing environment...you need to check for naked edges, make sure all of your faces are looking the right way (normas as Ross mentions), etc. In Rhino you can set up a custom view style to color your backfaces a different color, then you can see what things need to be flipped. Also, you need to check the thickness tolerance of your printer...different technologies SLA, SLS, RP, have different materials, processes, and tolerances. Check with the technician before finishing your model...it might make a word of difference!

Jan 31, 08 8:43 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i managed to do what i needed to do in autocad.....

i was messing with sketchup today........ it's not bad.... but not really into 3d modelling.....

trace/cad/sharpie/shop is all i need

Jan 31, 08 8:54 pm  · 
 · 
tdunigan

Metro Rapid Prototyping specializes in architectural work.  We have done the 14 foot tall model of the US Capitol Building  in DC's US Capitol Visitors' center as well as Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis.

www.metrorp.com

Metro Rapid Prototyping has been in the rapid prototyping industry from its beginning. Choosing to work with us, you have effectively added experienced prototyping engineers to your team. Metro focuses heavily on support and communication rather than just building a prototype from whatever CAD data we receive. Using this approach, Metro Rapid Prototyping has helped numerous customers succeed at getting their projects completed on time, while getting the most out of their prototyping budgets.

Our customers benefit from over 50 years of combined internal experience.

Aug 18, 11 10:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: