Archinect
anchor

Pratt vs Virginia Tech B.Arch

mmax

Hello! This is my first post on Archinect and I am a senior in high school in the process of choosing a school to pursue an undergraduate Bachelor of Architecture.
I have heard back from all of my schools and have been accepted to Carnegie Mellon, Virginia Tech, Pratt, NJIT, Penn State, and Tulane (woo hoo!)

I have ruled out all of them except for Pratt, V Tech, (and possibly CMU).

I have visited Pratt recently and was absolutely amazed by its school of architecture. I found its intensity and vibrant community to be very appealing and despite being an art school I found the program to be pretty well rounded. I also received a scholarship that would make make the cost of attendance essentially the same as V Tech.

I am on route to visit Virginia Tech this week and I have heard nothing but good things about the program from practicing architects. I have also been impressed by the study abroad options that the school offers.

I am more partial to the city (its NYC baby!) environment but I would love to hear from recent V Tech and Pratt grads about their experiences in school and the challenges (or eases hopefully) they have encountered in pursuing careers post graduation. 

P.S I also work as a freelance photographer so I am torn whether V Tech's D1 sports or NYC will provide me more opportunities to make some money to help pay for my expenses. Feel free to view my work at http://www.mayermaxphotography.com

Apr 2, 13 5:32 pm
mmax

Bump!

Apr 3, 13 9:42 am  · 
 · 
tomahawks619

jock or hipster ... literally cause undergraduate degrees deal mostly with teaching how to do rather than researching. So you can't go wrong either way since they both are great schools. 

It boils down literally to what kind of lifestyle do you envision.. since pratt is urban and nyc and you literally have the whole of city as a playground to yourself vs virginia suburban , college sports frats and the typical college experience. 

Choice is yours 

Apr 3, 13 7:24 pm  · 
 · 

My daughter got a portfolio review at Pratt. It was done by a 2010 Pratt architecture grad working in admissions.

Apr 3, 13 7:45 pm  · 
 · 
sensation

@miles jaffe... Awww, I remember when Pratt reviewed my artwork when I was a senior in high school. I attended an art school in San Francisco, so I showed them my 3'x5' acrylic and oil paintings! Such great memories!! I was so excited when they gave me a full scholarship to attend their school! Congrats to your daughter, she should be very proud! 

@mmax.... if you see yourself as an urban architect working in NYC after you graduate, you should choose Pratt. 

Apr 3, 13 7:56 pm  · 
 · 
mmax

Hey guys! I've decided on Pratt and couldn't be any happier. I found the urban environment more my speed and the job network so much better in the city. 

Apr 28, 13 9:13 am  · 
 · 
seeasea
Ha. I just ruled out Pratt. I wasn't impressed by the faculty, the premises but especially the cost (they have me a 17k merit scholarship + 5k aid, still 20k a year) outrageous.

Everyone has got their place.
Apr 30, 13 10:36 am  · 
 · 
irenechou

Hello There,
I am a high school senior from Taiwan right now. I am now in the process of choosing my college destination. I have been accepted to Pratt, Virginia Tech, Penn State, Syracuse, Univ of Oregon, and Iowa State Univ.

I am kinda torn among Pratt, VT, and Penn State (so basically my situation is so much like yours)

I am a little bit leaning toward Pratt because it's in NYC. But I am also attracted to VT and Penn State because of the study abroad programs and VT's strong science and technology background. I know that Pratt also has a Rome program but it seems to be competitive. You said you noticed that Pratt's architecture program is well-rounded despite the fact that it's an art school, which amazes me as well because one of my concerns for Pratt would probably be its lack of science education.

I saw you said that your final decision was Pratt. So do you mind sharing some thoughts and experience about studying in this program so far? I really need some people's real first-hand info, I would be more than grateful if you are willing to share with me.

Apr 12, 16 9:07 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: