Archinect
anchor

Render faster .... damn it!!!! MBP > Mac Pro in Jan?

mgs

So, I'm sitting here doing final renders for my portfolios. My macbook pro is scaring me!!!

The temp is getting to over 90C with the fans blasting and the renders are taking forever. I've done everything to clean up the wires etc. etc. but for final renders turning off irradiance caching (modo 301) is bringing the render times from 3-5 minutes to 45-60. I keep watching the little temp gauges just waiting for this thing to explode!!! haha. This sleek little guy just doesn't like my big LCD I think. Anyone else? Mine's a 2.33 C2D 3GB Leopard.

Me thinking Mac Pro in January if they update them and I unload this one after calling in on AppleCare for a new one. (I think it was the heat but the MBP no longer sleeps!!! Just like it's owner?!!?) ;)

Dec 28, 07 10:57 pm
Apurimac

msarch, can't you just buy a $500 windows box and make it a render slave?

seriously, mac books are notorious for overheating and not in anyway built for rendering. I don't know what program you render with, but you'd have better luck putting together a PC render box.

Dec 29, 07 1:21 am  · 
 · 
jjh

i have a mac pro and it is a beast. no worries about overheating and it renders in minutes that my P4 took hours. they can't make a computer fast enough since it seems now my models get more complicated and i still have renderings that run for hours. i am getting ready to dump some more ram into to speed the process up a litte.

Dec 29, 07 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
blah

jjh,

What do you render with?

May we see some examples?

Dec 29, 07 8:58 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

i had the similar experiences... u just need to solve it architecturally:

when need to render for hours, use books to lift up the notebook so to allow air passing through underneath. works magic!

Dec 29, 07 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

Agreed... The aluminum case of the MBP is designed to serve as a heat sink, so it should be fine as long as there's plenty of air circulation around it.

The Mac Pro should be a rendering beast, though. Hopefully they'll get a big update next month.

Dec 29, 07 11:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: