Archinect
anchor

Paying for U.Mich

bfffffffffff

I was accepted to Taubman College's 3 Year Architecture without a merit scholarship. I applied to many places, but U.Mich was always right at the top of my list. Although I still have to hear back from several more schools, I have a feeling U.M. will be the best of the bunch by far.

Do any alumni have any comments on how they paid their way through school? Does it actually get easier the second year, or are the coveted assistant positions more out of reach than they appear?

Taubman seems to be known for its pricey-ness, and I would love to hear from anyone who was or is in a similar position. I'm less interested in discussing of "is grad school worth it." It would be great to hear about people's actual experiences. 

Mar 4, 13 6:54 pm
cwh1

lg33 - 

Graduated from UMich in '11. 2-yr (2G) M.Arch program, so I can't wholly speak to your scenario. I worked for the university in the "media center" located in the same bldg. to help pay the bills for the first year, and then was fortunate enough to have GSI positions for both semesters the second year. The program does not leave a lot of time to pay for school outside of working for the university itself, but does have a multitude of options to work for the taubman college or other places on campus. 

As for the GSI positions - they are highly sought after and by no means guaranteed. I cannot speak for those in the 3G route, but selections for GSI positions come from a combination of grades, portfolio, talent, and relationships made with professors you've reached out to. Find classes you want to take, and in the future may want to help teach. That would align your interests and establish relationships with professors who help select their GSI's. If you want to teach, I would suggest to make it known within the faculty. Overall, it is an incredibly rewarding program, both experiential and  financially. Although, I would not count on it as a solution to funding your education.

That being said, scholarships are provided on a yearly basis, so you may end up being rewarded one your second and even third year. There is an application process each year, which includes CV, Portfolio, etc, which encourages students to do their best and apply. So there are a few options for financial assistance available to you in your future at the school. 

Just some thoughts. Perhaps H.Solie who is a 3G in his final year (you can check out his blog here on Archinect) can provide some support to this? Finally, you should go to UM. It was pretty awesome. 

C

Mar 5, 13 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
zandor16

Quick question. How are the job prospects for Taubman College graduates? Has it been easy for you or any of the people you have stayed in touch with? I've also been admitted in the 2yr M.arch program and thinking of choosing it over UPenn.

Apr 5, 13 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
observant

Quick comment.  UMich has steep out of state prices because they offer a high quality education and high brand recognition.  Then, throw in that the state has some economic issues and needs the coin.  They are also unlikely to reclassify students for tuition purposes because taking up residency in the state after graduation is more unlikely than likely. 

If it's your best option, then it's your best option.  Back at the time, I was presented with the exact same issues, in addition to its being a 3.5 year program that then ended in December.  What a great place to call your school, though.

Apr 5, 13 10:51 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: