Archinect
anchor

The gales of November remember

evilplatypus

a tribute to the Edmund Fitzgerald

does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn minuets to hours

Dec 15, 07 12:30 pm
crowbert

I think this song came up in a northern michigan shout out earlier in the fall...

Dec 16, 07 8:04 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

fellas its been nice to know ya!

Dec 16, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

I saw one of the twisted life boats at a museum in Sault Ste. Marie when I was in high school. Eeh. Makes it hard to take your eyes off the pavement when you are driving across the Mackinac bridge in the winter.

Dec 16, 07 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Didn't we just talk about this? And didn't I, then, post this link to the hilarious interview by T.D. Mischke, in which he asks questions about the tragedy of an Edmund Fitzgerald expert, but instead of simply stating the questions, he sings them to the tune of the Gordon Lightfoot song?

Not to make light of dozens of deaths, of course, but it is a bit of comedic brilliance.

Dec 16, 07 10:52 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

there can never be enough discussion aobut gordon lightfoot!!!

Dec 16, 07 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
aquapura

I used to listen to Mischke when he was on late night radio laughing myself to sleep. Truly a uni

Dec 17, 07 9:05 am  · 
 · 
aquapura

...truly a unique talent, I meant to say.

Dec 17, 07 9:06 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

im going to see him at the star plaza in feb.

didnt realize Gordo was discussed before - I guess when you get up into the thousands of posts level nothing slips by - brain like a steel trap I tell ya.

I got a good Sundown live off u tube if anyones interested

Dec 17, 07 9:21 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

My favourite line of that song is "with a load of ironore 26000 tons more than the Edmond Fitsgerald weighed empty" just because it seems like an ingenious way to say 26000 tons of ironore.

And I like 'Lavender' as my favourite song.

Dec 17, 07 9:39 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

i'm more of a "carefree highway" kinda guy.

whatever happened to am radio?

Dec 17, 07 9:46 am  · 
 · 
won and done williams

though being a northern michigan boy, i welled up a bit hearing "the wreck of the edmond fitzgerald" at a coffee shop in oslo.

Dec 17, 07 9:50 am  · 
 · 

in other soft rock news, dan fogelberg died this weekend.

Dec 17, 07 9:51 am  · 
 · 

Wow, the episode of Seinfeld where George is going to lose his apartment to a survivor of the Edmond Fitzgerald was on just the other night.

Dec 17, 07 10:07 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

i didn't see that one. there were no survivors!

Dec 17, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

that was the andrea dora - NY harbour I think or Nova Scotia boat exploded

Dec 17, 07 10:29 am  · 
 · 

Ahh, that's right! Thanks for the correction. I remembered them talking about the song. Not being from there or being familiar with them, I suppose they're all just boats that sort of blur together for me. All just more reason to stay ashore for this lubber.

Dec 17, 07 10:37 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

paul weller does an awesome version of "early morning rain"

Dec 17, 07 10:41 am  · 
 · 

speaking of covers of canadians, sarah mclachlan's version of 'song for a winter's night' is beautiful.

and ron sexsmith's version of anne murray's 'snowbird' is pretty good too.

Dec 17, 07 10:59 am  · 
 · 

according to wikipedia, 'edmund fitzgerald' was covered by the dandy warhols. i need to hear that one.

and, from wikipedia: "In the Seinfeld episode The Andrea Doria, Jerry and Elaine discuss the song. Elaine believes that Edmund Fitzgerald wrote the song and that Gordon Lightfoot was the ship that sunk. Jerry sarcastically responds that perhaps "it was driven by the Cat Stevens" (another folk singer of the 1970s)."

Dec 17, 07 11:02 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

not to mention prelude's acapella cover of after the gold rush. liberty bell LOVES it. although i love Seinfeld, i don't believe the character of Jerry would know much about Gordon Lightfoot or music trivia in general.

Dec 17, 07 11:06 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Brian Burns does a spooky rendition of Edmond Fitsgerald. In the end, he reads off the names and positions of each person as a bell tolls, for each person. Creepy, and somber.

Dec 17, 07 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Dan Fogelberg diesd? Didn't he sing that song about meeting his old lover in the grocery store, then polishing off a six-pack with her ion the aprking lot, then driving off a bridge in the snow? Ahh, the 70s.

Dec 17, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 

yep, lb. 'same old lang syne' and lots of other classics!

longer than...
run for the roses
leader of the band
how do we make love stay

...all the songs your [ok, my] mom loved.

Dec 17, 07 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

we are listening to dan fogelberg now as someone just happened to have his greatest hits. he was quite a handsome guy. men get your prostate checked! you might even enjoy it.

Dec 17, 07 1:23 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

same old lang syne which lb told me all the lyrics to one time or somebody did and i was like i've never heard that song. well, i have like a million times!!! its a bummer man.

Dec 17, 07 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Oh god, longer than...that's worse than time in a bottle!

Dec 17, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

jackson browne ain't too shabby either. i also like the year of the cat which most people i know really hate.

Dec 17, 07 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Wait...jackson browne sang year of the cat? isn't he married to darryl hannah?

Maybe she had a relative who died on the Edmund Fitzgerald.

Dec 17, 07 1:31 pm  · 
 · 

year of the cat was NOT jackson browne. that's al stewart.

Dec 17, 07 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

i know that

Dec 17, 07 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

he also did on the border.

Dec 17, 07 1:38 pm  · 
 · 
clamfan

Twas a night just like tonight....

Nov 10, 08 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Where in the world are you, clamfan?

Nov 10, 08 10:30 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLskWYwLbvQ&feature=related]Gitchagoomee![/url]

So I was wondering who was Edmund Fitzgerald anywaze??? he was the president and chairman of the board of northwest mutual insurance who built the ship.

Nov 10, 08 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro
Dammit!
Nov 10, 08 10:44 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

Lightfoot turns 70 today

Nov 17, 08 6:05 am  · 
 · 
vado retro
HaPpYBiRtHdAy!

from the Modfather.

Nov 17, 08 7:41 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

bump!

Nov 11, 10 11:18 am  · 
 · 

God we used to have fun around here!

Nov 11, 10 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
farmer

yeah, I know

Nov 11, 10 5:58 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

HI LIBERTY BELL!!!!

Nov 11, 10 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Oysters and Trifle

HI MDLR!!!!

Nov 12, 10 12:14 am  · 
 · 
****melt

HI OYSTERS!!! LONG TIME NO SEE!! :o)

HI MDLER!!

Nov 12, 10 3:00 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

hi tuna!

Nov 12, 10 3:21 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

fellas its been nice to know ya...

Nov 10, 13 4:44 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

at seven a.m. the main hatchway gave in, he said, fellas its been good to know ya.

Nov 10, 14 8:09 am  · 
 · 

Somewhat apropos: we watch Captain Phillips a couple weeks ago.  Amazing bit of movie making, that movie: so tense all the way through then this wonderful release at the end.  I was enthralled and then crying.

But the entire story, along with the Ballad of the Edmund Fitzgerald, reminds me that I hate boats. I'm deeply terrified of water.  Some people feel at home with the ocean, or a lake, but not me. Put me in the desert instead; the thought of going under icy cold water is one of the most hellish notions I can conjure.

RIP Edmund Fitzgerald crew.

Nov 10, 14 8:17 am  · 
 · 

Redford's All Is Lost was quite good. 

Nov 10, 14 9:32 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

Bump

Nov 11, 19 2:16 pm  · 
1  · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: