Archinect
anchor

brazil working hours

aspect

i'm checking the brazil stock market on the bloomberg everynite, seems like they always have a day or 2 close in every week (i.e. open 4-3 days a week)... is it true?? brazilian work 3-4 days a week?

Nov 20, 07 10:48 am
simples

i am not sure of the stock market working hours...but generally speaking, no, brazilians do not work 4-3 days in a work week...just lots of holidays...15th of november was a holiday, and i think they rolled friday into it as well...if i remember, november 1st was also a holiday...

Nov 20, 07 11:15 am  · 
 · 
rrp147

far from being true. what happens is, whenever there is a holiday and a "rolled friday", as simples explained, we make up for the "rolled" day on weekends. most of the firms in Brasília do this. or we make up on weekends or stay overtime.

Nov 20, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 

sweet - I love holidays

Nov 20, 07 11:58 am  · 
 · 
rozz

They just had a holiday a couple of days ago- Proclamacao da Republica.

Nov 20, 07 12:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

Actually people work very hard in Brazil and they also socialize most of the night. They are however back at work early in the morning and
most don't leave work till around eight in the evening. They also eat
late in the Evening.

I think the rolled Friday Holiday is a good thing for productivity. Gives people time away from the office. I keep telling the mrs....I want to move there but she is cool to the idea....even though she is
from there.

Nov 20, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

snooker...I was thinking of moving there as well, I have dual citizenship. However, upon speaking to two co-workers,both of which came to the US recently, they have said that Brazil is not a very good place to go live now. Unfortunately, political corruption is prevalent. As well as socio-economic issues that the country is facing. Maybe someday I will...

Nov 20, 07 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

rozz....damn it sounds alot like the Good ole USA!

Nov 20, 07 2:37 pm  · 
 · 
rozz

LOL, yeah it does. I guess I will always have a longing to go back. I remember I was 5 yrs old and my family vacationed on the coast of Sao Paolo. I remember eating strawberry icecream at night on the beach. It was the best memory and it was beautiful!

Nov 20, 07 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

hello, seems like some of u may know brazil well, do u guys have any link to check the daily news in brazil including financial/market news?

also, from what i found from news paper, they juz have discovered some oil and becoming one of the big guy in oil supplier like china, and they plan to cut interest rate at the end of dec. so stock market prospect should be strong rite??

i asked becos i had some funds invest in brazil. thanks!

i tried google but not very good link provided.

Nov 20, 07 9:41 pm  · 
 · 
simples

aspect...don't know how helpful it might be, but
http://www.estadao.com.br/economia/
is usually pretty thorough (your wife is from brazil, so she can help you with the portuguese) ... you might find something if you start searching for bovespa

i am originally from santa catarina (joinville) and keep thinking about going back one day...it's always tempting when i visit, since i am on vacation, and don't have to deal with daily social political financial problems brazilians have to deal with...

Nov 21, 07 9:19 am  · 
 · 
aspect

thanks simples, do i have a brazilian wife?? in my dream LOL.

i can only read chinese and english... but in case i can meet a brazilian gal, i would definitely learn portuguese... may be i wait till my brazilian funds goes up, i would have enough cash to go to brazil!

Nov 21, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 
simples

ha...someone here has a brazilian wife...must've been confused!!!

Nov 21, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
snooker

My wife went back in September for two weeks, I stayed home and took care of the Dogs! The currancy is very strong against the dollar
at the moment, so it is not as much of a bargain as it was. With all that said....the women outnumber the men 8 to 1 in Rio, so my brother inlaw tells me....then he says..."Where are my other seven wifes." I can say with out a doubt, Brazilian Women are well the most beautiful in the world, but then I'm married to one so.....I better be saying that. Oh she for warned me when we went to the Beach...."don't look at other women or I will poke you eyes out..."
Of course she was kidding....but it did keep my eyes closer to home.
To speak Portugese does put you at an advantage, because English
is not that common on a day to day basis. My wife was educated in a Private School and speaks several languages.

Nov 21, 07 9:11 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: