Archinect
anchor

X-Mas Archinect Toy Drive

b3tadine[sutures]

Every year for the past 15 yrs or so I try to get toys - sometimes even enlist co-workers - and take them to a pediatric ward at a local hospital or local Ronald McDonald House. I've been in the hospital as a kid, not at Christmas, but it sucked and I imagine it would suck even more at this time of the year.

Perhaps someone here could volunteer to be the Santa Claus and everyone else could be elves delivering to Santa?

Any interest?

I thought with all this existential angst and thoughts of depression this might get us all focused on less narcissistic endeavors?

Puddles? I know you're still alive.

Nov 8, 07 10:58 pm
liberty bell

Well I've been thinking about this and propose that we brainstorm a bit before it falls off the page and gets forgotten.

My partner watches the Today Show, which is how I know that they do an annual toy drive via Amazon. I think the way it works is: you go to the Today Show Toy drive wish list on Amazon, buy a toy, and it gets shipped to wherever the Today Show has set up their distribution center for the donated toys, then they all get distributed for the holiday.

This seems like a good system, but! I don't like Amazon. So I'm wondering if there is some smaller similar setup, by another charitable organization.

And, I'm wondering if when one purchases the toy, the "giver" can be stipulated as Archinect.

Those are my five minute investigations into it. I think it's a great idea for the Archinect community to collectively give something, and toys to kids is a perfect idea for the holidays.

Thoughts, anyone?

Nov 9, 07 9:47 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Wow, I'd be up for that. I don't know the how it could be done, but it should definitely be easy and convenient to get the maximum number of people involved.

Nov 9, 07 9:53 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I know a guy in Chinatown who can give us a good deal on some blocks of lead.

Nov 9, 07 10:04 am  · 
 · 
liberty bell

Well like I said: I don't like Amazon (I buy books at powells .com), but their vastly-reaching tentacles of commerce do make initiatives like this easy for people to participate!

I'm wondering if there is a similar set-up by a smaller, less-corporate?, entity, but if we can do it via Amazon/Today Show, well, I'd rather do it that way than do nothing at all!

And I did notice The Lorax is on their wish list, which is a book EVERY person should own. Only 10 bucks!

Nov 9, 07 10:11 am  · 
 · 
brian buchalski

i'll contribute to a toy drive...how do we do this? since i'm an expat, i'm not really in shape to coordinate anything locally in the states. is it as simple as using amazon as per liberty bell's suggestion? is there anyway we could spice it up by perhaps pitting east vs. west against each other for total donations?

Nov 9, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Ooh, yeah - competition. Cool idea puddles. Although I think there is more to it then East vs West...

Nov 9, 07 10:42 am  · 
 · 
Ms Beary

I might be interested, but would rather keep my donations local.

Nov 9, 07 10:43 am  · 
 · 
mdler

if you love your kids, you wont get them anything this year

Nov 9, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

frobel blocks for all and to all a good night

Nov 9, 07 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
Pseudonym

Maybe we can at least have a discussion of what toys to get for a toy drive appropriate to age and gender. I wouldn't even know where to begin considering I have no kids and I never had toys growing up (or Xmas for that matter). The AIA Bookstore in Philly (although expensive) does have a pretty good selection of toys.

Nov 9, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

kids love guns

Nov 9, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

Hey I got my brother a clock from the AIA bookstore in Philly last year! It already broke, though...

guns, mdler?

Nov 9, 07 12:53 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

look how happy he is...

gettin' their jihad on...

nice hat...

jesus freak...
[img]http://www.benettontalk.com/Guns%20and%20children.jpg/img]

KIDS LOVE GUNS

Nov 9, 07 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

jesus freak...

Nov 9, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
obelix

I would like to donate my collage of highway underpass photos.

Nov 9, 07 10:31 pm  · 
 · 
Philarch

so as I was walking to the train station after buying some pies from Termini Bros, I walk past Toys for Tots table on the sidewalk and I couldn't pass by without checking my wallet to see if I had any cash left. Exactly $22 dollars left. The "standard set" donation for two kids? $22 dollars. Who could pass that up?

Nov 21, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: