Archinect
anchor

Applying to Arch Grad School

scope

After completing a year of grad school in Spain, I will be applying to grad schools in the US this fall, can anyone give me advice on what I should include in my portafolio, and CV? Should I include work from former arch offices?
Do you have suggestions for schools?
Thank you I would appreciate any insights.

Sep 26, 07 6:54 pm
eastcoastarch03

search

Sep 26, 07 7:03 pm  · 
 · 
scope

thanks, i meant specific tips on what to include in my portafolio.

Sep 26, 07 7:35 pm  · 
 · 
nomadzilla

first of all, at least spell PORTFOLIO correctly...

Sep 27, 07 3:09 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

second of all, we are not going to do your "portafolio" for you.

sorry man.

Sep 27, 07 3:23 am  · 
 · 
ether

scope,

There is a search box at the bottom of the main forum menu page. You might try typing in portfolio or something similar. The results should offer you some insight into your question. If you find they do not, I'm sure others including myself would be very willing to give you some tips.

Sep 27, 07 8:34 am  · 
 · 
scope

I was not expecting such a rude response....why do you even bother answering ...eastcoastarch.... I though this was an international blog...in my country portfolio is spelled PORTAFOLIO>>>>excuse me!! keep your responses to yourself if you are not going to be helpful.
seems someone around here has some kind of social problems...
I am not asking you to make "MY PORTAFOLIO" for me eastcoastarch looser.

Thank you ether.

Sep 27, 07 10:23 am  · 
 · 
eastcoastarch03

do a search you Loser. that is spelled with one O by the way. there are plenty of freakin' threads that have to deal with this manner.

Sep 27, 07 10:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

like you can flame him scope? You have 3 comments to your name. Grad school and school apps have been discussed ad nauseum on this site and you can find plenty of good info in them.

Sep 27, 07 10:33 am  · 
 · 
scope

thanks apurimac...I am searching, I was just wondering about including work from former offices. thanks.

I have found good advice.

Sep 27, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
n_

There is a lot of hostility on this thread. I think everyone needs to bring it down a notch.

Scope, searching is the post way to get information on this forum in regards to portfolio. As Ether said, you are more than willing to help if you have further questions. If you have more questions, we don't bite. Promise.

Eastcoatarch03, Scope never asked for us to do his/her portfolio. It was an innocent question from a newbie asking for more information. Hostility, similar to what you have demonstrated, is detrimental to Archinect's friendly and helpful reputation.

Sep 27, 07 11:26 am  · 
 · 
Apurimac

yeah, include work from former offices, it is a good idea.

Sep 27, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
scope

It is the first time I post a comment on archinet.

I was taken aback by the first rude response. I thought this was a place for discusion and communication. I feel discuraged to ever write again. Maybe my english is not to good, its not my first language....
It is true that such hostility is
"detrimental to archinet's friendly and helpful reputation."

my regards

Sep 27, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
ether

please do not feel discouraged. we hope you continue to contribute to archinect. and believe me, it's not you or your english (which is perfectly fine by the way).

Sep 27, 07 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
cf

Scope, you's awright. Sum us mericans dont speak none good English. Them ain't fighten words. Take a dip, them sharks ain't got none teeth.

Sep 27, 07 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
scope

your funny..

thanks.

Sep 27, 07 1:00 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

its cool scope, lots of folks simply come on here though and ask us for stuff when they haven't done any research on their own. This is actually a really polite site compared to most others. Don't be discouraged.

Sep 27, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Well it's not spelled like that in the States, so yes, it's misspelled. It's a fair criticism. If you have typos like that, then you won't get into grad school here. It's that simple.

I've studied with a lot of international students and their portfolios were perfect even though they hardly knew English. You will have to get someone to proof read your portfolio and resume before submitting it.

Believe it or not, when you're an international student, there is more pressure applied to you to display your knowledge of the English language better -- especially in written form.

It seems like you know English well enough to put you at a strategic position in America. So don't get to bent out of shape about it. Believe it or not, this experience will help you.

Sep 27, 07 1:52 pm  · 
 · 
med.

Yeah Scope. I knew people in grad school who didn't know a WORD of English and needed translators. So you'll be just fine as long as you make a good impression with your portfolio.

Sep 27, 07 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
scope

I completed my ungrad studies in London, I feel confident about english, just not with the overall application process!

I have found similar questions conserning GRE, and letters of recommendation, and what I found is advice on focusing on the
portfolio.......
no fancy covers, minimal text, follow size format requirements, show your personal style, include office work (I wonder if to keep this to a minimal), etc.

Now the real question: how to make a good impression? i guess then we could extend this blog to infinite possibilities

Sep 27, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
Tony Snow

Spray your portfolio with Old Spice and tuck a magnum condom wrapper into the flap. That's how you get noticed in America.

Sep 27, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
SanFranarch9

scope

dont worry, for some reason when people reach a certain amount of posts on this site they feel as if they have earned someting and deserve respect.
and those like eastcoastarch03 are compensating for something else by attacking you, and a favorite is to attack spelling for some stupid ass reason.

ignore it

Sep 28, 07 12:28 am  · 
 · 

very simply, scope, you need to choose the things you feel will best represent you as a designer, a student, and someone thinking seriously about architecture. all of your entries don't have to be polished/perfect. i included some sketchbook stuff - very rough - just because they showed the chasing down of an idea.

definitely include work from offices in which you've worked if you participated in a major way (and describe the way in which you've participated clearly and honestly). and pick especially those projects with which you WANT to be associated, obviously - those for which you have an affinity and from which you learned.

one reason portfolio advice is such a difficult topic for a discussion forum is that it should really be a personal expression of who you are. without knowing who you are - we're sort of shooting blind.

re: sanfranarch9: there are some spirited posters to the board, and there are an awful lot of requests for help that get tiresome, and there are an awful lot of people who don't even ATTEMPT to spell correctly (non-english speakers excepted).

all i can say about his comment is that spelling is VERY important, no matter how he tries to excuse it or use it as a sign of our aggression. if you have misspellings and grammar errors in c.v. or portfolio, expect to be taken less seriously by those reviewing it. you can be sure that they'll notice.

Sep 28, 07 7:24 am  · 
 · 
scope

good advice sanfranch9.

best advice steven ward, I WILL be sure to run all the text through a good spelling-correction program.
Im glad to know others have put sketches in portfolios, this is one of my major strenghts, and would love to include some of the earliest hand-drawings.....which i always prefer than the lastest 3d work.

now that spelling has been hammered in.......

the reason for the acid humor? jank? is this how you want to get noticed??

cheers to you all

Sep 28, 07 12:12 pm  · 
 · 

Hi scope, I always find it's helpful to gain some perspective when people chime in so quickly with negativity. If you click on their name, you'll go to a profile page with links to all the threads they've created and commented on recently. Often you'll find that these people just go around acting like jerks everywhere and you're better off just ignoring them.

It's not about quantity of posts, it's about what the posts are saying.

Sep 28, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Apurimac

I met an intern in the office in china from U Toronto. She got into GSD with her hand drafting alone, which were by far and away the best hand renderings i've seen from a student, or even a professional for that matter. One of the project title pages in her portfolio was a sketch over a black and white photo of the site, a playground.

Sep 28, 07 12:51 pm  · 
 · 
ether

What you include in your portfolio can also be affected by the school you are applying or who might be reviewing the portfolio itself. In other words, assuming you've done the research, and you are applying to school "A" becuase of their focus in, for example, preservation. Well your interests lie in preservations, right? so you might want to include more work that closely relates to that focus. Or if you are applying to school "B" because they teach design process through the creative act, then well you might want to consider putting in more sketchs. It potentially sounds like of work, but when you think about it, you are applying to some pretty specific place(s) probably for some pretty specific reasons. I imagine there is plenty of overlap for each school.

Sep 28, 07 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
HHNB

From my own personal experience, I placed my resume first, list of work related projects sorted out by building types on the second page
then different work related dwgs/photos, etc... About half way through, my school related dwgs/sketches, model photos.

This method works for me, and have received compliment from different people. Just state on your portfolio work related/personal, school…

Have fun and Godspeed on your grad. school adventure!

Sep 28, 07 5:24 pm  · 
 · 
scope

thank you ether, HHNB, apurimac (nice sounding name, does it mean something?). very helpful advice!

It is always the problem that I have soo much work and drawings for each project, and would like to include the most relevant drawings,
although i know by heart that "less is more," would you advice on condensing alot of drawings into one page, lets say to explain one project, or to have one or two images that best explains it?

Although I would like to be more specific on the portfolio for each school im applying to, I think I only have time to make one and make copies of it? Is this a bad idea?

Sep 29, 07 10:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: