Archinect
anchor

de young mueusm skin pattern

Gordon

What is the best way to prepare a vector or cad file from a jpeg to use for laser or water jet cutting to get an effect like the de young museum skin?
I am assuming that the process that herzog used was to use the filter/color halftone in photoshop to generate the pattern in jpeg format, but Im not sure how convert a black and white jpeg file into vector lines or CAD output?
Is this the correct work flow, is there a better way, any other suggestions?
thanks

Sep 18, 07 10:10 am
postal

the skin on DeYoung was done by Zahner Metals. Zahner hired a programmer to write a program in Perl to convert an illustrator file into something their machine could cut. (I'm forgetting what program, perhaps cad) (I think they called the machine a nibbler in this case)

but that really doesn't help you because it sounds like you were on the right path anyway... and i do not have this mysterious converting program..

Sep 18, 07 10:19 am  · 
 · 
brut

once you have the jpeg use "live trace" in illustrator cs2 (maybe just cs, not sure)

Sep 18, 07 11:32 am  · 
 · 
beefeaters

youll need cs2 or cs3

Sep 18, 07 12:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: