Archinect
anchor

Pen to CAD - making the switch??

So I'm making the transition into urban planning with my new job at the new ** development corporation.

My first task is taking a series of A3 hand drawn overlays (contours, buildings, etc etc) and converting them into a useable and modifiable format.

Apart from scanning and tracing the objects on screen, can anyone point me in the right direction. If this includes purchasing some nifty equipment let me know the details

Sep 13, 07 5:16 pm
snarkitect

There are some decent raster to vector programs out there; there are also many crappy ones. WinTopo would be a good place to start; don't be seduced by the freeware; the Pro version has better controls.

Sep 13, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Gloominati

Larger reprographics companies can usually convert scanned drawings to vector CAD drawings, using whatever CAD standards you provide, for about $75 to $200 per sheet. This is usually competetive with the time it would take you to do the work inhouse, and saves the cost of purchasing any nifty new equipment.

Sep 13, 07 6:43 pm  · 
 · 
boxy

wow wintopo looks great. i would have just brought the image into illustrator and used live trace. i don't know about complete accuracy though.

Sep 13, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

thanks guys. I need to present options by next week so the more thoughts about it the better.

Bojangles i'm going to check out that wintopo and see what its like. I know IntelliCAD had a plug-in for data-trace but no luck in finding it.

Sep 14, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 

bojangles I owe you a beer, the freeware seems like a decent option intially. I will update you on how that goes. Cheers

Sep 14, 07 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

intellicad came with wintopo for me progecad to be specific

Sep 14, 07 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
AbrahamNR

Thank you snarkitect. This is perfect for converting all my old school work done by hand into CAD!!!

Sep 15, 07 2:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: