Archinect
anchor

Technical Difficulties--REVIT

architorture

hello!

our firm has just started to use revit but our first project is pretty complex. we have some complex nurbs surfaces that we imported successfully from rhino into revit where we are trying to make walls from those surfaces. the surfaces are torquing forward and backward in space as well as along the "ground plane" and revit is allowing us to make walls out of some of the surfaces...but not others.

we tried to play with the surface's families by importing it as a .sat file into a mass family first and secondly as a generic model family....both have the above mentioned effect.

we are not sure if the difficulties are stemming from the way we are importing the surfaces or if it is a lack of knowing the proper commands...other than selecting "wall by face"...in revit.

we have looked through many of the threads on this site and on revitcity and some others but none have really addressed our specific issue. thank you to anyone who has ideas on how to address our quandry.

Sep 5, 07 5:00 pm
Frit

It's not a lack of commands . . . that's the only way to do what you're doing. When you get into imported NURB shapes, Revit gets a little cranky about what does and does not work. That said, I have not done much beyond playing with quick forms just to see how they came in. How big a role to these walls play? Could you be satisfied with just having the form there and not having it as an actual wall? It would cause some bumps down the line, but working in Revit is working around bumps.

Sep 5, 07 5:27 pm  · 
 · 
Frit

Wait, can't you do in In-Place Wall family and import the .sat into that? Then the mass is the wall and you dont have to do the pick-by-face part. Still gives you some graphics issues to contend with, but your rooms will close and doors will host.

Sep 5, 07 5:29 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

hey frit!
thanks for the idea...i'm definitely checking into that today...

the original geometry of the walls is unforturnatley pretty important...the walls have become this big issue b/c the design in the rhino model shows the walls as inner and outer shells and there will [at some point] be structure running between the shells...we are waiting for the structure guys to get information back to us.

but from what we understand[and yeah we are really really new to revit] it's supposed to be easy to coordinate different files and peices into one model and have the drawings off of it...

we just figured it was a matter of not knowing how to do what we needed to do in revit....it's been an exercise in self-teaching a program...

Sep 6, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
Frit

"but from what we understand[and yeah we are really really new to revit] it's supposed to be easy to coordinate different files and peices into one model and have the drawings off of it..."

That's the ideal, and in a lot of situations that works. Sometimes though, you have to trick revit into giving you what you want. You could take the Rhino file further so that you have a more detailed model to import and just drop it in place, or you could use the imported geometry as a guide for 2D linework in plan and elevation then turn it off, only leaving it on in 3D views.

If you want to send me an email, I'd be glad to look at the file and see what else might work.

Sep 6, 07 10:50 am  · 
 · 
PerCorell

What's the reson you uses Revit ?
Is there ar particular gadged to extract informations or why do you at all need to use Revit, What is it you want, a wall , a wall in a presentation, or a wall in 3D as that's what required for a particular extract of information ?

Sep 6, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
brer

Try asking your question on the AUGI Revit forums, thats the place i'd go.

Sep 6, 07 1:32 pm  · 
 · 
architorture

brer...am doing that as well as the autodesk website and a couple of others as well, just tapping my archinect resource!! =)

Sep 6, 07 2:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: