Archinect
anchor

3d autocad to illustrator

won and done williams

this is a dumb question, but i'm trying to open a hidden line 3d autocad view (dwg) in illustrator (ai). whenever i open it in illustrator i get a 3d wireframe, not hidden line. there must be an easy way to do this, and i'm just missing something.

Aug 28, 07 8:37 pm
won and done williams

or i could have just used the search function.

we all get desparate and make rookie mistakes.

Aug 28, 07 9:10 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Aug 28, 07 9:30 pm  · 
 · 
binary

print to pdf

Aug 28, 07 9:42 pm  · 
 · 
Gabriel Duarte

Open your DWG file in Rhino and use the MAKE2D command. You'll generate a bi-dimensional vector image of the perspective view of your choice with the hidden lines you want...you can even SAVE AS your results straight in AI format.

Aug 28, 07 10:43 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

Aug 28, 07 10:47 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

ya open in rhino make2d and save as AI from rhino. what Gabriel said

Aug 29, 07 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
poster

autocad has a flatten command that will flatten 3d to 2d. it is interesting because it will flatten based on the view and project the 2d in that 3d view. give it a try

Aug 30, 07 3:20 am  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

I think it's called solprof

Aug 30, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

as cryzko said, print to pdf.
set up your view in paperspace.
double click your viewport to bring up it's properties and set the shade plot setting to hidden (not 3d hidden because it will give you a 2D image).
plot.
done!

Sep 3, 07 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
binary

plot to the largest size you can...... so the image comes out better as a .pdf/.jpeg

b

Sep 3, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

probably another stupid question

how do you print to PDF if you don't have a printer setup (no plotter here)?

Sep 3, 07 9:02 pm  · 
 · 
won and done williams

maybe we should just call this the dumb autocad question thread.

trace, you will have to set up a postscript plotter, then plot to file. this site will walk you through the set-up.

Sep 3, 07 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
binary

look for "cute writer" it's a pdf setup....... comes with a "ghost converter" for translating to pdf also..

b

Sep 3, 07 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

make2d in rhinoceros still does the best 2d creation from a 3d view and provides the option to not need neither autocad or illustrator for future use ;)

Sep 4, 07 12:16 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

I use the cute writer works great.
Also acrobat pro comes with a PDF writer.

Sep 4, 07 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

"how do you print to PDF if you don't have a printer setup (no plotter here)"

There will alway's be a "plot to file" check box , then when you plot a file is written --- just check where that is stored than import that file into the document. In fact any graphic format would work , so don't care if it is a Jpg or a Pdf file you "plot" , rather make as file ; just check what illustrator accept of import graphic file.

Sep 5, 07 5:04 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: