Archinect
anchor

3D rendering programs?

jenn

Hey guys,

I have used a number of 3D modeling programs over the years, but I have somehow avoided ever having to bring anything into a secondary rendering program. Now I have somehow gotten myself into the position of being the unofficial 3D expert in my office, and I need to decide if we should update a software the I (or anyone else in the office for that matter) have never used. We use archicad for modeling and the we have Artlantis and Piranesi for rendering.

Can someone please explain to me what the difference between those two are? Are they even both rendering programs? are those are the best programs for the job? Are they something you want to upgrade all that often or is a version that is a couple years old going to work just fine?

I need to sound like I know what I'm talking about again so I appreciate any input anyone may have. Thanks!

Aug 22, 07 12:34 pm
difficultfix

use Maxwell Render...

It has an ArchiCAD Plug in....

www.maxwellrender.com

Aug 22, 07 2:11 pm  · 
 · 
trace™

It all depends on how far you want to take things. Figure out the expectations first, then what is the best solution.

Maxwell can create super renderings, but you have to wait a lifetime for them.

I'd look around and see what is compatible with Archicad (I don't know what is/isn't).

Others to consider: VRay, Final Render

Those are all 'plugins', ie. rendering programs that work inside of another program.

I know nothing of Artlantis, but Piranesi is a different kind of solution (again, figure out what the goals of your firm are, what type of product they want, how much $$ they will invest, and, most importantly, how many man hours they'll commit to rendering - all too often firms think they can get good renderings with only a small investment in software, then they fail and end up outsourcing to me, or their clients aren't happy and hire their own renderer).

Aug 22, 07 8:21 pm  · 
 · 
montu

Define expectations
There is no rendering program that is going to give you quality by hitting a button there is a great deal of tweaking required within the program over weeks maybe months to get the results you want and then there are hours of “Photoshoping” to put the life back in to the image that the rendering program sucks out.

To that extent a Photoshop expert is more critical than the rendering program which all roughly gets you to the same place. Which is another day or two of tweaking to make the image sing.

Piranesi I believe is comparable to Photoshop in that it takes a rendered image and breathes life in to it.

Aug 22, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
Orphan

i agree with ^^^

i also do modeling with Archicad and in our office they primarily use Archicad for rendering but to do a better render they often used Artlantis. i have also found that Cinema 4D has a plugin for archicad and the render output is great. but i would say upgrade to Artlantis, and you wlill see a great improvement...

P

Aug 27, 07 4:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: