Archinect
anchor

organic modelling in vectorworks

koen froyen

hi,

is there a way to model organic structures in vectorworks in a similar way to revit? revit makes is quite easy constructing semi-organic models using massing-tools. or can u import cinema 3d objects and apply curtainwalls or solid objects to the surface?

i recently bought a mac and ran parallels on it to make the most of my revit licence...
i feel awkward running 2 OS's at the same time to make 1 program work, but i don't want to switch between OS's when i need to make use of my photoshop...

suggestions?

(i've tried archicad but a maxonform licence is expensive and i can't get my hands on a try-out version and i don't want to spend a great deal of money on software i can't be sure of will do the trick.
(i used to model really complex stuff in 3ds and import the mass into revit ))

Aug 21, 07 12:54 pm
PerCorell

Thought about Solidworks ? What you say about not being able to find a try out surprise me , you are joking. What I find most important are things like link to production

Aug 21, 07 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
Jonas77

i've imported organic solids from Rhino to all these packages

Aug 21, 07 2:04 pm  · 
 · 
koen froyen

yes i'm aware that you can import about every 3d model into any 3d building tool... but i want them to take it the next step and apply BIM instances to them that are (parametric of not) usable and editable.

i'm wondering if that is the case with VW

Aug 21, 07 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
mightylittle™

from my experience...NO, that is not the case. but i'm not that heavy into VW's BIM capabilities.

i do not believe, however, that you can take a 3d shape, be it an extruded solid, mesh, lofted surface or otherwise, and transform the solid into a parametric object with definable characteristics.

that being said, VW does have many many 3d plug-in objects with a wide array of possible configurations, including curtain walls, windows and doors and walls and stairs, all of which can be "customized" to your needs.

but you can't bring in a tall slender object and say "Make me a curtain wall."

correct me please, if someone knows otherwise.

Aug 21, 07 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
koen froyen

revit does just that (curtainwall system to mass faces).
import or model a mass form (any shape will do, 3ds blobs, ....), glue a curtainwall to it (or any other wall or instance). fiddle around with parameters which even calculate min./max spacing between panels and align mullions...

why ony revit has this function is a riddle to me.. or am i mistaken?

Aug 21, 07 4:36 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: