montu

Looking to purchase a 3d printer..
Thoughts?
Recommendations?
Concerns?
Any direction would be helpfull.

Aug 18, 07 9:55 pm
garpike

What kind are you interested in? What are your intentions with the machine?

starch
I have a lot of experience with the ZCorp machines. The models are very detailed (0.007" layers), and I believe the newer machines are even more detailed (0.004" layers - and thinner!). The resulting material is fragile, but can be dipped in resin to become much more durable. Sanding the models is very easy before and after dipping. Since the model is built within its powder in layers therefore supporting itself gravity is not an issue - that is until you have to remove the part. There are limitations.

ABS
The models are ABS plastic, which is a cool translucent white plastic - though it can yellow with time And they are durable as long as you don't have thin members. They break off, not by the fragility of the material, but because the heated plastic goo tends to make globs that weaken the members. You can glue parts that break off. ABS is less detailed (0.01"). The layers are very visible due to the streams of hot plastic. Imagine poche-ing your drawigs with a sharpie. With patience, you can sand it smooth.

These machines are available with or with "support" material, which is a brown water-soluble material that is built with the model to hold complex parts during the build. The upside is complexity, the downside is you can't always ge all of the support material off your model. And sometimes it gets trapped in the material resulting in visible brown stains.

Photopolymer
This is the best of both worlds. It is plastic and detailed. However, it is pricey. And models subjected to heat or sunlight will droop. The material is cool almost transparent, but does yellow with age.

Aug 19, 07 1:08 pm  · 
 · 
binary

good info garpike......

Aug 19, 07 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

We could start another thread just on the topic of preparing files for 3D printing...

Aug 19, 07 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
binary

i know they use .stl i think not sure,...... is that basically a full cad wireframe model or solid model with some hollow space inside to reduce the material usage?

i have a model in cad now and was actually thinking about printing it so i can cast it for a project....... but not sure how big is big for a bed size

b

Aug 19, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 

Any closed polysurface should work. STL is the usual transfer file type, yeah, you can mesh the object yourself or just let the software figure it out. You don't have to hollow out the inside if you're running it through a program like Cadalyst that prepares the final build file to send to the modeler, it'll hollow it out for you there if you want to save on material.

Aug 19, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
montu

Thanks Garpike… quality info.

Probably have the funding but need to work out the logistics.
I am leaning towards a ZCORP machine.

The ZPrinter 450 is touted as being “office friendly” I am not certain what this means yet although I have notions of this thing sitting next to the HP 4500 Plotter. If it needs to be locked away in a room because the by product of the process will wipe out the office then it may not be workable.

There is a desktop version by Desktop Factory. That appears to fulfill an idea of simplicity and portability. They won’t be ready to ship until the end of the year as they are currently beta testing. The first run is only 200 machines and they have all been ordered.
At $5000 dollars however we could afford 5 of them and have them on every other desk.

Thanks Guys

Aug 19, 07 2:51 pm  · 
 · 
PerCorell

I must warn that it is not all modeling ptograms that realy deliver a idiot prove stl or whatever format, this realy are an important issue been there, hit my head against the wall, spended day's refining a Max drawing yet, na not all of the thousands faces acted as they shuld no .stl file possible , find the detail and reverse the faces not before, and when done, yet another wierd error messeage, no not possible .stl can not understand it's to advanced.

Strange realy, as what else than a number of print , shuld it be, that's the way the mashin work , layer by layer as by a simple printer , but realy --- I must warn to look into that, maybe have a 3D drawing of your own prepared, and check if the wonder realy can deliver from that, my experience ; there are problems if you don't use the exact right software, proberly SolidWorks.

Aug 19, 07 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
crowbert

Remember, when you make something idiot-proof, they just build a better idiot.

Aug 19, 07 5:02 pm  · 
 · 
binary

any links to a few printers?.......

even though i'm looking for a laser, a 3d would be cool soon

b

Aug 19, 07 5:34 pm  · 
 · 
beefeaters
zcorp
desktop factory
dimension
Aug 19, 07 5:55 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

Yes, STL is the typical stereolithography file format that works with most printer software, including ZCorp. Unforunately a closed polysurface (in Rhino) does not always make he nicest mesh. Joining surfaces into polysurfaces does ensure matching polygons at seams, but sometimes surface normals flip on various parts. Often you have to take a model into another program before taking it to the printer. I have used Magics and most recently Insight for fixing files up.

Insight goes right to a layered model look showing you he issues the 3d printer will most likely have on each layer. I love it.

Magics lets you patch up your STL as a whole mesh/polygonal model. It is tedious work, but you get nice error-free models.

The ZCorp is called office friendly because it requires no additional ventilation to the room it sits in. ABS and photopolymers give off fumes that must be handled appropriately You basically need a dedicated space for those machines. A garage?

One warning about the ZCorp is it is toxic-fume-free but not quite clean enough for the printer room. Sifting the powder before running the machines makes plumes of dust that will destroy print heads at the very least. It's starch after all. It likes making strong bonds like that rice you forgot to scrape off the plate in your sink.

Aug 19, 07 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
A Center for Ants?

good note that my friend has realized since his office acquired a printer...

you need to have dedicated space that can get messy for the zcorp printers. the powder starch is quite messy and is best suited to a small area that it can be confined.

Aug 19, 07 11:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: