Archinect
anchor

VRay Resolution Question

Hasselhoff

I'm using VRay for Rhino 4 edu version. My friend asked me to model and render his DJing logo for him to use on posters. I was trying to make this big rendering and it won't allow me to render the size I want. Does anyone know, does the edu version have a resolution cap?

Jul 5, 07 2:03 pm

render regions and patch in photoshop.

i'd imagine that there is a cap, or some renderings would be too big to handle. personally, i've never rendered over 2500w (150dpi for 17").

Jul 5, 07 2:41 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I had a similar issue with a file in the demo version, which I know did not have a resolution cap. Check their forums about the resolution cap, I don't think it does. IF you're having issues you could try rendering it to a "vrimage" their special format that is good for huge resolution outputs.

Jul 5, 07 6:21 pm  · 
 · 
aspect

even though there might not be a cap, it will take days or week to render. have u check their schedule?
most renderer the first thing they ask me is how big and when even before they see the model.

Jul 5, 07 10:14 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

The rendering takes like 2 minutes with 5 cycles of lighting. I just won't render big. Not a crashing issue. Say I type in 6000x5000, it just goes to 1407x1294 or something weird. My friend downloaded the demo and tried it and it worked (he didn't have the texture maps that I was using) but it would render the colors. So I was figuring it was an educational version cap.

Jul 5, 07 11:19 pm  · 
 · 
mtbmarsh

There is a 1600x1200 cap on the EDU version.

Jul 5, 07 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

1407 is super low. Odd. Let me check mine.

Jul 5, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Damn it! What if you were doing a competition or a huge board for school?! Sure I'm just dicking around, but DAMN IT!

Jul 5, 07 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I can't imagine ASGVIS limiting anyone. Those guys are cool.

Jul 5, 07 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
garpike

I have no limit. Seriously.

Do you have "override viewport" unchecked? That's what it sounds like to me.

Jul 5, 07 11:47 pm  · 
 · 
mtbmarsh
http://www.asgvis.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=90&topic=2267.0

check out the third response, posted by one of the developers.

Jul 6, 07 8:08 am  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

there ya go, I'd try installing the demo on another machine and doing it there.

Jul 6, 07 8:12 am  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

Thank ya sir. I searched the forums, but never found anything. Weird. I was looking for about an hour.

Jul 6, 07 11:03 am  · 
 · 
garpike

Gah! Well, that sucks.

Jul 6, 07 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

I know the demo doesn't have any size restrictions since I just asked 'em...

Jul 6, 07 3:01 pm  · 
 · 
psycho-mullet

As a side not 6000x5000 is VERY large. Max has some limitations which usually are around 4000x4000. I rarel render larger than 4000 wide and honestly that's usually overkill. Everybody thinks they need 300dpi for evertyhing, but you only really need 300 dpi for very small images that will be viewd close up. I worked at a print shop where we ocassionaly did bill boards, they were around 9-15 dpi. The larger the print the lower the resolution. If you're doing a competition board 4000 is plenty.

Jul 9, 07 7:15 pm  · 
 · 
Hasselhoff

1600x1200 at 150 DPI (what we were told for plotting) is only around 10x8, which kind of sucks. But anyway, my friend is just rendering it in his demo. I'm setting it up and mailing him a zipped file.

Jul 9, 07 9:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: