Archinect
anchor

Laser Cutter Recommendations

jmac

Hey Guys,

My office is considering buying a small laser cutter to cut through many of the conventional modeling materials we use as architects (bass wood, museum board, acetate, thin acrylic if possible…). It seems that it has been a while since a discussion has been posted about this, so I thought I would ask fellow archinects which brands/models seem to be the most popular, most reliable, and most practical for relatively small applications. Our budget is fairly tight--we would be willing to spend $8,000 to $15,000. I’m specifically interested to find what schools are tending to use these days. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Jun 26, 07 9:26 am
dierxap

It really comes down to size of the bed and power of laser (how thick you want to cut) ...what is small? 12x16? 18x24?

here is a 'desktop' laser cutter..I have no experience with it personally.

http://www.engravingsys.com/versalaser.htm

Jun 26, 07 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
dierxap

Not sure how they are venting the desktop cutter..but that is also a big consideration. Some of the stuff you are cutting can be quite toxic.

Jun 26, 07 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
jmac

thank you dierxap--looks pretty reasonable. By "small" I would say we are looking at a cutter that would do about 18" x 24". Does anyone know of cutters used in other offices or schools? I'd like to look into cutters that are proven to take a beating...

Jun 26, 07 2:01 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

awwww...I wish I had $7,695. I want one. for my desk. at home.

Jun 26, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
rabbits

We have a VL-300 at my office and my only complaint is the "small" 12x24 cutting bed size. Otherwise, it rules. It is also relatively fast and easy to maintain. It is made by universal laser systems, and they seem to be the "industry leader" as far as laser cutters go. However, it does need a pretty good ventilation system, which can get pricey. But yeah, we can bang out models like crazy now.

Jun 29, 07 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
binary

versa laser....... i'm thinking about getting one

also search
universal laser
epilog

sometimes they have refurbished units for sale...

b

Jun 30, 07 5:29 am  · 
 · 
omasfo

last summer i purchased a laser cutter for the architecture school where i teach. i got a universal X-660 with a single 60-watt laser and an 18" x 32" cutting bed. this model is in use in several schools and comes highly recommended, however, ours cost $25,000. i think universal has smaller models and you can get the x-660 with a 30-watt laser to save several thousand dollars.

we installed it in an old photo lab and tapped into the existing ventilation system there. all you really need is a good blower and a hose with access to the outside. at texas tech univ. they have an x-660 and they just open a door and blow exhaust out the old fashioned way.

Jul 1, 07 7:06 pm  · 
 · 
ladsnine

the school i go to has a Universal X-600 and an X-660, both with 18" x 32" cutting beds. They came as hand-me-downs from SOM and now take 16-hour-a-day abuse (more during finals) and still somehow work. We have a fairly nice vent system for them though.

Somebody managed to melt a giant hole into the bed of the X-660

Jul 1, 07 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
ladsnine

(oops, stupid submit button)

Somebody melted a hole into the bed of the X-660. I suspect that was stupidity, not anything bad about the machine, though.

Jul 1, 07 8:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: