Archinect
anchor

3dcad to Sketchup/ Archicad

jenn

I will preface this by saying I really know nothing of 3cad, nor do I care to learn very much. Mostly because I think it's pretty useless program that always ends up causing me more headaches than anything else...but, i'm not here to complain.

I actually need to know how to convert 3d cad files into something I can actually model in. We have Archicad and Sketchup in my office so those would be the only options available to me. I can get the file into both programs in 2d, the problem is actually being able see it in 3d. I know there has to be a way to do it, I just can't seem to wrap my head around it today. any ideas?
Thanks!

Jun 14, 07 7:38 pm
cpnorris

there is a plug-in for ArchiCAD called '3D Studio In' which allows you to import any 3DS object and convert it into a GDL object. I am unsure as to how much you can manipulate the object once it is a GDL though. You can also model something in Sketch Up and export the model as 3DS and then import that into ArchiCAD using this tool.

Jun 14, 07 9:03 pm  · 
 · 
raj

here is the link for importing sketchup into archicad. link

note:it will import the object into archicad where the walls are slabs (not walls) still needs to be changed!! good luck

Jun 15, 07 9:32 am  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Does that work very well? I have heard conflicting stuff about it.

Jun 15, 07 10:28 am  · 
 · 
jenn

Actually I don't have any trouble moving betweeen sketch up and Archicad, it's the 3dcad files that I don't know what to do with. Can a 3d cad model be converted to a 3ds file? if so, I could definatly handle it from there. But thanks for trying.

Jun 15, 07 1:41 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

I am not all that familiar with 3D CAD Models, so this may or may not be helpful

Jun 15, 07 2:08 pm  · 
 · 
cpnorris

Sounds like you need to have control over the 3D CAD file, so if you are getting this file sent to you from someone else and you have no way of opening it then I'm not really sure that there is anything you can do.....

Jun 15, 07 2:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: