Archinect
anchor

Hardware that works for 3D studio max and maya

contemax

has somebody some suggestion for a new PC. it should work best for 3D applications like studio max maya ... I would like to buy it online gateway, dell, maybe there are some special offers you know about. I'm a mac user and this machine is for 3D work only, meens limited budged.

Jun 13, 07 10:43 am
mental

the new quad core procs from intel are good for 3d apps, but anything good for 3d is not good for budget. personally, i would not want anything less then dual core duo proc's ( or quad cores) and 4 gigs ram, if you are using only for rendering, you dont need a good graphics card so you can save a lot there, but if you are using for a workstation, get a top of the line geforce or two and run in sli mode, or the ati equivalent, dont spend you money on a quadro unless you have the money burn.

Jun 13, 07 11:14 am  · 
 · 
MADianito

get as much RAM as u can, and a decent VIDEO card if u can, with its own RAM...is not about processors its more about RAM in my personal experience

Jun 13, 07 12:11 pm  · 
 · 
mental

ram will not make your machine render any faster, just to clarify, but yes, ram is good. if you want fast render times, then processors is all that matters in that regard.

Jun 13, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
Carl Douglas (agfa8x)

What RAM will do, though, is allow you to work with complex models without tearing your hair out.

ram rammy ram ram.

For the graphics card, just OK will be fine, unless you want to spend megabucks on a workstation card. What you don't want to do is spend megabucks on a gaming card.

Monitors. Big ones.

Jun 13, 07 6:36 pm  · 
 · 
mental

another note on ram, if you are using windows xp 32 bit, you can only use 4 gigs anyway i think, and the 64 bit version ups it to 8 or 16.

the geforce 7800 or 8800 can run maxtreme which was made for the quadro if you can find the cracked version for it, since those card were made very similar.

also with max and windows xp, you need to install the 3 gig switch in order to actually use that ram, and you can only use up to 3 gigs for max since windows limits the amount per program.

Jun 13, 07 6:47 pm  · 
 · 
cayne1

Have you checked the hardware requirements listed on the websites of the software you want to run? Take what they suggest and bump it up a little so you're not obsolete when they release a newer version.

RAM is cheap so load up, it never hurts (always buy it in sets, not one stick at a time). Get a videocard with a good amount of on board memory - try an entry level workstation card.

Jun 15, 07 11:00 pm  · 
 · 
grauster

hey mental,

where have you found maxtreme for geforce, could you let me know please?...thanks. that would really help me out.

Jun 17, 07 7:10 pm  · 
 · 
mental
http://www.designcommunity.com/messages/10828.html

you can use this link as a start, i dont know if the download is there, but here is info on it.

Jun 17, 07 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
mental
http://www.radeon2.ru/rivatuner/readme/
Jun 17, 07 8:50 pm  · 
 · 
mental

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: