Archinect
anchor

how do i get into the architectural program at UH

rbaez

ok i have absolutely no creative or artistic abilities i have never been in any kind of environment that might help my chances of getting accepted into this highly competetive program. so what should i do? how can build up a portfolio? are there any books that might help me gain some creative ability, if so, wich ones? how can i get an internship somewhere if i really have nothing to offer them? ok so i know i sound hopeless but PLEASE try to give me some good advice ANYTHING will help.

Jun 12, 07 1:59 pm

once again someone has started a school thread and not told us basic information...

Are you looking at grad or undergrad? How long do you have to prepare for your application season: if you are applying for undergrad are you a sophomore, junior, senior in high school? if grad, are you in undergrad currently (what major?), or already graduated? Why the heck is UH the only choice you seem to be considering?

Jun 12, 07 2:06 pm  · 
 · 

ooh, excellent point, tumbles. I'd assumed this one:

Jun 12, 07 2:13 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

rbaez

why do you want to go into architecture if you dont have any talent?

Jun 12, 07 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
dml955i

mdler - you should've have understood from the recent GSD thread that talent can be learned.

Jun 12, 07 2:27 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

ok ok i get it here goes all the info. UH is university of houston and its the only architectural program in houston exept for rice. UH will begin accepting applications in october. and i will be as undergrad and i'm out of highschool i just finished my core so i have to choose somthing now and i chose this because it just sound pretty damn cool.

Jun 12, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
KEG

a lot of people w/out talent go into architecture.

rbaez...there is not "magic" formula.
use the search bar and look for anything to do with portfolio, essay, grad school, etc....

there are some good examples on here. If you have no artistic experience, i would immediately sign up for as many drawing, painting, photography, drafting, CAD classes as you can get into in the summer/fall. They may give you some portfolio pieces and point you in the direction of something you are good at. Then, built on that talent (assuming you find one)...

Jun 12, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
toroid

get a construction job

Jun 12, 07 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Cdee

doesn't UT have an undergrand program?

Jun 12, 07 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
MUUM79

i would agree with WhatToDo, and load up on creative art courses primarly drawing and sculpture courses.

Jun 12, 07 2:39 pm  · 
 · 
mdler

rbaez

you are entering a world of pain

Jun 12, 07 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
sndstorm

Are you already at UH or are you applying to the university + college of architecture?

Jun 14, 07 2:28 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

no i'm already at uh i'm just applying to the school of architecture

Jun 14, 07 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

you wanna toe? i can get you a toe.

Jun 14, 07 4:43 pm  · 
 · 
sndstorm

ok. then you're just pretty much doing a change of major. I did that my sophomore year. I didn't turn in a portfolio, and got accepted based on my grades. Like the people above have said, take a couple of art classes, and just take some nice pictures or scans of whatever work you do there. Don't turn in the originals, especially if it's really really big. You should have until March 1st (double check on this date) to get in (they only do acceptance once a year, so basically you wouldn't be able to get in for this fall).
I'm not sure what the other requirements are, because like I said, all I really did was turn in the change of major request. You should also go talk to one of the advisors. They have walk-in advising over the summer. You can check on the times for that, or you can set up an appointment. I would recomment talking to Trang.
They also offer a summer program for transfer and change of major students, so that you can take the 1st year of studio then and start in the fall in 2nd year.

Jun 14, 07 4:53 pm  · 
 · 
rbaez

thanks for the info SNDSTORM

Jun 14, 07 5:23 pm  · 
 · 
john bender

i know plenty of people that don't have architectural talent, and they sit right beside me here in my firm

Aug 20, 07 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
choyounghwang

I’m currently in UH. I just submitted my change of major application with an art portfolio, but I wonder how long it may take to receive the final decision? I’m a little bit worried right now because I’m not sure if the process is competitive or not

Apr 29, 21 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: