Archinect
anchor

Renderbox and Revit

brickmaster

We have a renderbox that never gets used and was a trophy purchase made by a former principal. We don't render enough to really use the renderbox, but was wondering if we could run Revit through it. Our current setup is individual Compaq nx9600's which are great, except they occasionally freeze and often slow to a crawl when running Revit. Usually it is only 1 person runnig Revit since we still haven't made an office switch yet. Any thoughts on or alternate uses for the renderbox are appreciated. Right now the leading option is ebay.

Jun 11, 07 2:32 pm
FOG Lite

I guess it all depends on the render box's specs, if it has a decent graphics card you should have no problem running Revit on it. But, without knowing the specs no one will be able to give you any good recommendations.

Jun 11, 07 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
brickmaster

Yea, I am trying to find the specs for it now. I suppose my question was a little premature. Everything is all over the place in our office.

I believe it has an ATI Rage XL graphics card. It is running dual INTEL XEON 2.8 ghz processors, 2gbs RAM, and has a PURE rendering card, etc. I suppose some of that makes no difference for running Revit. It is running Windows 2000 which may or may not make a difference with Revit. I'll have to check. More specs to come.

I went to school to build buildings not computers. Lovely.

Jun 11, 07 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
postal

yeah you should be able to run revit without a problem... although you may want to upgrade the RAM to 4 gigs if you can... the more the better...

i'm using revit with:
Dell Optiplex GX620
Pentium D 3.4 Ghz
3.5 gigs of RAM

a bit chunky sometimes, but it works...

Jun 11, 07 5:09 pm  · 
 · 
FOG Lite

The processors and ram will be fine, the only thing I'd recommend is a more recent graphics card, maybe something in a quadro or Fire. Should be bitchen.

Jun 11, 07 5:21 pm  · 
 · 
brickmaster

I'll look into some graphics cards and try to loosen el jeffe's purse strings. I might even venture to acquire more RAM. I think at this point if we could actually use it on a daily basis then the cost and the fact it sounds like an airplane taking off would make it worthwhile.

I wonder the potential of running 2 users off of it. The person who does Revit for us doesn't have a lot of building experience and usually gets the front end stuff on smaller projects. We are trying to do more projects through Revit now and attempt to carry them through CD's. If she is already slowing her computer down, I am not sure what it will do with larger files.

Jun 11, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
manamana

sell the pure, buy a quadro 3500 if it's a pci-e motherbaord, a quadro 4000 if it's agp

Jun 11, 07 9:13 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: