Archinect
anchor

Architecture class - High School

HTinc

Hello. General question for all Young Architects. If you were going to teach a 9 week introduction course on Architecture to High School students in grades 10-12....what are the main topics you would introduce? If anyone has the time and would like to discuss this further...PLEASE email me.

I am NOT an Architect!!! It's just an intro class to get kids excited about the world of architecture. We will be using Chief Architect as the software. Maybe someone would want to break it down by week? Either way, would love to chat with some of you. Thanks very much!

May 11, 11 12:02 am
Rusty!

I had to look up Chief Architect. I just had to. I was hoping deep inside it was a tee pee making software. Nope! A custom home software that sells for $2200. 

First thing I would do is not use Chief Architecture to teach anyone anything. 

Beyond that, it gets a bit hard. If I was given a task to get highschool kids excited about accounting, I would fail miserably as I know very little on the subject.

Get them to hand draw. Take them on field trips. Give them a basic rundown on history of profession. Expand the topic beyond architecture and into the concept of designed world: everything from art installations, furniture design, to rocket science.

May 11, 11 12:57 am  · 
 · 
trace™

Yup, drop the Chief Architect idea, never heard of an architect using that (clearly there must be some somewhere, which I blame for the ugliness everywhere).

Software:  Autocad, Revit and various 3D programs

Schooling:  far too much school (see next line item)

Ego:  big egos

Wallets:  little wallets

Hours:  long hours

Math:  you don't need to know much math (so please tell them not to repeat the "I once wanted to be an architect, but the math stopped me")

Difficulty:  it is not easy, not in school, not anywhere

Reality:  it will not be what you present them 

Business:  everyone should have some business education, start now, as in today

Plus what rusty! said.  Buy and Intro to Arch book and that'll help with the content.

May 11, 11 8:21 am  · 
 · 
edwavila

Yes, I agree with the above, drop Chief Architect.

I would consider using Google Sketch UP, its free and very accesible. 

I along with some others created a program teaching elementary students (4th/5th) basics using art and architectural theory. The program seems successful enough, we just finished the third cycle and will be entering the fourth cycle in August.

Stick with the basics, I have participated in many programs teaching and developing architectural exercises for summer arch programs aimed at high school students and what I have learned is that you need to create exercises that allows them to freely explore their own creativity.

I am attaching our blogs program. If you have anymore questions, reach me through the blog email.

http://theplayhousefunproject.blogspot.com/  

May 11, 11 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

I'll echo the abandoning of Chief Architect (if that option is available). I took "Design Technology" in grades 11 and 12 which was basically a watered-down intro to architecture and we learned to design using AutoCAD '04 and SketchUp 6 (Im currently starting my 4A term of undergrad arch). That was actually a perfect introduction to producing coherent CAD drawings, which most of the assignments were about. These were coupled with rudimentary projects looking into certain "styles" (I remember I got Frank Lloyd Wright and his Ranch bungalow houses).

May 11, 11 4:30 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: