Archinect
anchor

Archibook$$$$$$$

treekiller

Just learned that my copy of Ben Nicholson's Appliance House is worth over $300 (bought for $30)

Diller+Scofidio's Scanning is listed at $395 (bought for $45)

Tschumi's Cinegram Folie: Le Parc De LA Villette is only $99

but lots of my library are 'not in stock' at half.com and thet don't give a price

How can I find how much my AA folio of 'Parc la Villette' is worth?

So what books do you have that are now worth £€$$ or more?

Jun 10, 07 1:22 pm

Lebbeus Woods The New City is going for $125 used on Amazon, got mine for $15

Jun 10, 07 2:24 pm  · 
 · 
Somnambulist

a friend bought peter zumthor works at hennessy and ingalls about 6 years ago for a wallet busting $100. now its worth about $1250 on amazon...now that aint bad!

Jun 10, 07 3:23 pm  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

zumthor works is only worth $1250 if someone will pay that ..

current value is $300-$800 depending on condition
but still ain't bad!

xtc has a tune by your name, somnambulist

Jun 10, 07 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

killah-

i use this website to try and figure out book prices
http://isbndb.com/

dunno if that works for you or not..

Jun 11, 07 12:23 am  · 
 · 

good grief i hope my wife never finds that site! my library will start to disappear when i'm not home!

Jun 11, 07 7:50 am  · 
 · 
atowle

I have D+S Scanning . . . that news has just made my day, not that I'd sell it, or probably be able to find someone to sell it to at that price!

Jun 11, 07 8:06 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

i got this for $40 -

http://www.amazon.com/Unfolding-Daniel-Libeskind/dp/9056620398

Jun 11, 07 8:25 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

I got this at a garage sale 6 years agoand didnt think anything of it until this thread - I didnt think it would be worth anything; I guess I was wrong.

$1,800.00
+ $3.99shipping Used - Good Seller: rody129
Rating:100% positive over 1 rating.
Shipping: In Stock. Ships from UT, United States See shipping rates
Comments: William Farquhar Payson, [1932]. First edition; signed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Oblong quarto. Green cloth, with decorative stamping in black (after a design by Wright). Photographs. Bit of minor fraying at top and bottom of spine. sound first binding. a bit of aged coloring inside front and back cover. otherwise in excellent condition. ( « less )
Comments: William Farquhar Payson, [1932]. First edition; signed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Oblong quarto. Green cloth, with decorative sta... ( » more )

Dirnks on me

Jun 11, 07 11:36 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

First edition Disappearing City

Jun 11, 07 11:37 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

yours is signed by flw as well?

Jun 11, 07 11:39 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

no - but i could make it that way

Jun 11, 07 11:45 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

looks like you could sell it for 250 at least..

Jun 11, 07 11:51 am  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

thats still good - but i was pretty excited there for a min.

I have a first draft of the Chicago plan commission's published book for the proposed "outer drive" based on DH Burnhem Plan of Chicago and signed by Charles Wacker, head engineer. I wonder what thats worth. Thinking about donating to Historical society. The fold out velums are so wonderfully illustrated it puts contemporary drawing to shame. A blend of watercolor, pen and ink technical drawings, rendering and section all in one. unbelievabley beautiful

Jun 11, 07 12:42 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i've always wanted to be a sort of minor book collector...the life
intrigues me.. sort of the guy in 'the club dumas' (or the movie
the ninth gate). i used to get lost in stacks of books looking for
obscure art/architecture titles in used bookstores in boston...

but just haven't yet. i bought a first edition book on lee bontecou
from here moma exhibit when i noticed it was going out of print
very quickly...it's only four or five years old and already worth
$3-400...bought it for 100 (original price 30).

every now and again it's fun to go through and price everything i
own...but i wonder if i could ever sell them? so many books that
i could never replace.

Jun 11, 07 12:49 pm  · 
 · 
evilplatypus

did Zumthor's Atmosphere recently get a second publishing? I swear I saw it at Borders for $30

Jun 11, 07 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

i know they rereleased one of his titles..and i believe that's the
one.

i'm wondering whether it'd make sense to buy a couple copies
of his books on his spa..

Jun 11, 07 1:06 pm  · 
 · 
treekiller

lars- great link!!! thanks

the pleasure of owning the books is ours, the pleasure of selling them is our heirs...

anyways, found something that isdnbd.com doesn't have any price info on:
Tschumi's Questions of Space 1990, bought in london in '94 for 21pounds... any clues?

some useful links for architecture book stores:

hennessey+ingalls LA

William Stout SF

prarie avenue bookschicago

what's that place in NYC? any others?

Jun 11, 07 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

urban center books..

and sometimes you have to know the isbn number to find the book
on that site...i usually search amazon get the isbn and then go
there...

voila

http://isbndb.com/d/book/bernard_tschumi_questions_of_space.html

Jun 11, 07 7:41 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson
http://www.urbancenterbooks.org/
Jun 11, 07 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

the prices on isbndb.com don't seem to differentiate between first editions and later printings... and when something is out of stock, then what good is the price? you'd think that if you can't get something then it's worth more....

Jun 12, 07 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
larslarson

yeah.. i don't think it's the best possible site for pricing..but it's a good
guide...do isbn numbers differ between editions? i think not..but i'm not
100%. as far as the out of stock price goes..seems as though lots of sites
do that..and it basically means nothing imo..

Jun 12, 07 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
nambypambics

AAAhhhh I just discovered my Margiela book (fashion, not architecture) is selling in the $630-850 price range! I got it at a used bookstore bargain bin for $15!

Jun 12, 07 10:38 pm  · 
 · 
q839533774

Forum 2009 is MFA's premier managed futures and global macro investment strategies conference and exposition for professionals in managed futures, hedge funds, funds of funds and their service providers and investors. Sponsored by MFA, Forum 2009 will feature an extensive educational program,ed hardy swimwear special networking opportunities, and an informative exhibition of products and services of interest to industry professionals.

Forum 2009 attendees include CTAs; CPOs;ed hardy watches hedge fund and fund of funds managers; prime, securities and futures brokers; pension fund managers; and service providers who support the industry.

Your full conference registration includes entrance to the keynote speakers, general sessions, ed hardy
exhibit hall, breaks, breakfasts, luncheons and evening receptions.

Aug 4, 10 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
DisplacedArchitect

"The Artless word" it is worth 1500.00 on amazon, at one point it went up as high as 3000.00.

Aug 4, 10 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Not exactly architecture, but for my fine art & theatre design studios last semester I grabbed a couple reference books on concept art, including a used original 1994 edition of The Art of the Lion King by Christopher Finch for $40ish, in like-new condition. Average on amazon for the same book now is over $100 (its been out of print for about 15 years now, hopefully meaning it goes up in value). Also bought a brand new copy of the 1997 Broadway edition by Julie Taymor for about $40, now going for around $100 as well (also now out of print).

On a related note, I had also tried to find a copy of The Art of Monsters, Inc. at the same time but they have sky-rocketed to well over an average of $300 (originally would have been around $25). Those Disney & Pixar "Art of..." books are incredibly interesting and seem to only go up in value.

Unfortunately, I also have a stack of useless $100+ textbooks that are now worth mere pennies, to counter those few good bargains I managed to find...

Aug 4, 10 10:42 pm  · 
 · 
Phantom

All these books should just be digitized. Whats the point of monopolizing the content to only a certain amount of copies?

Aug 5, 10 2:32 am  · 
 · 
iheartbooks

i spotted this walking down the street at one of those urban yard-sale-esque tables in NYC.

He said, "for you........ $10."

Peter Zumthor -therme vals
Only sold, i think, at the baths in vals. my buddy bought it for 100 euro when we were there. got mine for 10 bones.

http://www.amazon.com/Peter-Zumthor-Therme-Sigrid-Hauser/dp/385881704X

Aug 5, 10 8:19 am  · 
 · 
outed

iheart - the zumthor book was sold widely. i think my pre-order was 40 bucks off amazon. doesn't mean it won't go up.

treekiller - i have the same tschumi book (questions of space). love that book. can't rightly remember where i picked it up, though. probably cambridge architectural when they were still around.

Aug 5, 10 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Since we're talking about books, I need to ask, does anyone know of a way to fix a small tear in a dust jacket? its about half a centimeter long on the spine, barely noticeable. Is there a better way to hide this other than a piece of tape?

Aug 5, 10 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
207moak
Can this make me temporarily (Un)poor?

Mask of Medusa is up there too....

Aug 9, 10 10:08 am  · 
 · 
drums please, Fab?

it can make you (un)poor only if someone is willing to buy it (as i wrote above there up yonder three years ago). so there's one copy of Raimund Abraham - (Un)built available and the guy set the price at $909.99. that doesn't mean it's worth $909.99 unless someone is willing to buy it. and if someone buys at that price, you have to find another person with deep pockets to drop cash like that to buy your copy.

i've sold a bunch of my books on amazon (even to some archinectors!) over the past 18 months and have sold a few things over a hundred dollars but most of my rare/expensive stuff has been sitting there this whole time.

Aug 9, 10 12:45 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: