Archinect
anchor

To see in Seoul?

bryan boyer

Any recommendations for places to visit in and around Seoul? All suggestions appreciated.

Aug 21, 04 2:07 am
Mason White

kpf's rodin pavilion might be worth a gander.

Aug 21, 04 2:15 am  · 
 · 
Kalle

Welcomm city

Aug 21, 04 6:10 am  · 
 · 
duke19_98

check out sun tower by Morphosis:

You should also take a train down to Busan if you get a chance

Aug 21, 04 2:02 pm  · 
 · 
bryan boyer

Defenestrator-

I am taking the ferry from Busan to Japan so I will be stopping through. Any suggestions there? Is it worth spending a night?

Aug 21, 04 5:17 pm  · 
 · 
duke19_98

I spent almost a month there last year. There are some great things to see culturally and historically. You should check out the fish market and the qwangali bridge area. There are some nice temples in the city as well. Here is a website I created last year to document our trip.
Busan
Take a look at it to get a feel of what the city is like. If you have any more questions let me know. I sure wish I was going!

Aug 21, 04 9:09 pm  · 
 · 
delicrafts

I strongly recommend you to visit Jongmyo Shrine, the finest and purest edifice influenced by Confucius culture during Joseon Dynasty. It would be worth comparing it with 4 major palaces and other historic buildings from Joseon Dynasty in Seoul.

Sewoon Sanga might be worth to see. It is a megastructure with pedestrian deck, comprising of 4 linear buildings from the north to the south in Seoul's city centre, and constructed in mid 1960's with the intention that provided balanced development in the east and the west of the city centre. The plan with modernist idealism failed, stands like huge wall or barrier in the city, and remains slum. But inside of the structure, various functions scattered all over the structures shows city's vital power. Now the city government has invited 10 internationally renowned architects including Rem Koolhaas, Richard Rogers, Renzo Piano, Terry Farrell, and Peter Eisenman to design the area, and the result will be announced at the beginning of September, 2004.

Chunggyechun Area: Urban Restoration Project (Check out the website)

Dongdaemun area is also worth to see especially at midnight. It is the heart of clothing industry running 24/7 in Seoul. There are more than 20 mega-store-buildings, and many smaller ones(almost 30,000 shops) as well only for clothing. There, production, design, and sale are all combined and attract merchants, consumers, and tourists. You might be shocked by its high density and how things like this is located in the center of the city like Seoul.

There are more than 10 megastores selling products regarding clothes

Some more below:
-Kim Okgil Memorial Building by Kim In-Cheurl

More Images

-Space Architects Building by Kim Soo-Geun and Jang Se-Yang.

-Seonyu-Do Park by Cho Sung-Ryong

-Samsung Jongno Tower by Rafael Vinoly

-Leeum by Rem Koolhaas, Jean Nouvel, and Mario Botta
It's under construction but you can see them from the distance.

-Heyri
About 1hr from Seoul by car, there is a newly constructed artists' village with many small museums, studios and residences by mostly Korean contemporary architects and few foreign ones including Florian Beigel, SHoP and more. You might be able to see what contemporary architectures in Korea is there, whether they are good or not. It's still under construction, but about 50% of planned buildings are open to public now. You can get there by shuttle bus at Gate No. 9, Hapjung Station(Line No.2 Green) at 8 a.m.

Should you have any questions, please email me.

Aug 22, 04 2:14 pm  · 
 · 
Gotan

Hi, great post.

Am off to Seoul tomorrow for a weekend.

Wish to know how I can combine this!

Is it possible, easy, efficient...to do the DMZ with something like PAJU or the Heyri Art Valley???
If so how?

Guess DMZ people go through a tour?
Rent a car?

And yeah a stint in North Korea...would make such a lovely day!

Help! Sounds amazing!

Mar 25, 10 5:27 am  · 
 · 
randomized

have fun! part 1 shows DMZ from South Korean side, part 2 and 3 are also entertaining but about North Korea:

http://www.vbs.tv/watch/the-vice-guide-to-travel/vice-guide-to-north-korea-1-of-3

Mar 25, 10 6:04 am  · 
 · 
Philarch

Heyri is a MUST. There is so much there, and you can go into most of the buildings due to their rule about public spaces. They have multi-lingual books (that I wish I had gotten more of)

As for the DMZ, as a physical destination, its disappointing. Its really about the history and political/social condition at that border. For example "the bridge of no return," has such a powerful meaning and history, yet at the end of the day, its just a small and unsightly bridge. You have to really understand the history and human tragedy of this border to appreciate (?) fully.

Mar 25, 10 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: