Archinect
anchor

file server sharing between two (very small!) offices

I work for a very small firm (less than ten people) which strangely has that staff divided across two offices in two states. We'd like to all be able to work from a single file server or perhaps some sort of mirrored server online so we can all have access to the same files.

We're all also mostly tech challenged, variously proficient at using software but not at configuring networks and the like.

so what software or internet solutions would you recommend? We all use PC's (dells) and are just upgrading to Autocad 2007 from 2004.
Seems like Buzzsaw is overkill and out of our price range, not sure about Microsoft Sharepoint. Do we even need software or just purchase space on an FTP site? We like Pando for emailing, is there something with a similarly happy userfriendly small scale interface?

any help greatly appreciated with many years of good tech karma.

sj

Jun 5, 07 12:09 pm
BabbleBeautiful

You can build a server at one site with a backup solution and let the other site VPN into the server. Once they have VPN'd into the server they can map a shared folder set up for shared access and then access that folder as if the server was local.

Jun 5, 07 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
BabbleBeautiful

oh, I don't want any tech karma. I want arch karma :-)

Jun 5, 07 3:03 pm  · 
 · 
feelandtriple

thanks, i just figured that out as well. i think we need our "tech guys" to come in and set it up to make sure the router is configured right. and do that mapping thing you said.

arch and tech karma all around!

Jun 5, 07 5:40 pm  · 
 · 
jovan

we've done something similar just recently - opened another satellite office that needs access to all files on the server in the main office.

VPN does the job, you just become part of the network as if you were in the same office.

the only thing is, we had to get a different router that had more security features than the one we had prior to this [few extra £££]

if you're mac based as we are i'd suggest IPSecuritas as a VPN client, and the best thing is, it's free :)

Jun 8, 07 4:31 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: